Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splinter Cell is back, like an old man at a welfare office

• 26-07-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235600/

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, the series really was a letdown the last couple installments, between console-exclusive BS and strange double-agent storylines, being forced to kill people to advance the plot, etc. I'm basically put off the franchise the way it carried on. I got a good chunk of replay out of the first couple titles by being a ninja - as little detection/stuns/kills as possible, often completing missions without interfering with a damn thing.

The game however seems quick to promise more flexibility this go around, with 3 different "specializations"/classes (...), that each earn perks as you progress based on your playstyle:
    Own Your Play Style
    Splinter Cell Blacklist builds on the stealth roots of the franchise, while exploring new directions to embrace the realms of action and adventure. Players can define their personal play styles and be rewarded for those choices.
    • Ghost players want to remain undetected.
    • Assault players rely on instincts and frontal blow to deal with a situation.
    • Panther players look for lethality in the most efficient and silent way.

It goes on to mention the words "game economy system" and then I remember that I'm still hungover. I wish it all the best, but it sounds like a trap.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I liked Double Agent and Conviction. Hoepfully this will be good too.

Nice to see Sam Fisher isn't in this one, he's been done to death, only so many more random unbelieveable situations he could have been thrown into.

There was a thread on this not too long ago, the drinks blocking out that search button for you man :P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84435614

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Nice to see Sam Fisher isn't in this one, he's been done to death, only so many more random unbelieveable situations he could have been thrown into.
    Sam Fisher is in this one, they've just replaced Ironside with Eric Johnson, an actor 30 years his junior.

The game also takes place after Conviction.

:|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's absolutely fantastic from what I've played of it so far. Loved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I just bought a GTX760 for my sons PC and it's coming with a free copy of this game. Hopefully it will be a good game to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gizmo wrote: »
    they've just replaced Ironside
    aaaand im done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

COYVB wrote: »
    It's absolutely fantastic from what I've played of it so far. Loved it
    I hate to have to ask the obvious but from the gameplay shown thus far, Fisher has mainly been running around brightly lit environments taking down enemies loudly and violently. Is this the typical marketing decision to show a more "action orientated" playstyle prior to release and does stealth still remain an option for those interested in it or has the it been completely superseded by the former approach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

gizmo wrote: »
    I hate to have to ask the obvious but from the gameplay shown thus far, Fisher has mainly been running around brightly lit environments taking down enemies loudly and violently. Is this the typical marketing decision to show a more "action orientated" playstyle prior to release and does stealth still remain an option for those interested in it or has the it been completely superseded by the former approach?

You can genuinely play it however you want, BUT playing as a ghost is much more highly rewarded. The player is shepherded towards stealthy play by getting more rewards, xp and in-game currency for going undetected. Regardless of what's been shown so far, it IS stealth focused

Hardcore mode is ridiculous too, ramps it right up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I loved Conviction even though I expected to hate it. Only thing I didn't like about Conviction was the way guards wouldn't Shut! Up! Also the ridiculous decision to not allow you move bodies once they're dead. Still it was more than possible to ghost a level. The way the AI from the start of level would come to the tangos assistance if you screwed up towards the ends made the feeling of tension as you got closer to the end of a level excellent. You really did feel like you were in a life or death scenario. Unfortunately, if you took the guns blazing approach from the start of the level everything would be too easy. But why am I saying unfortunately? The game gave you the option of how to play it and sometimes the killing can be great fun. Nothing matches the stealth though. Sneaking past a level without killing anyone is a fantastic feeling.

Very much looking forward to this.

Also, Double Agent was brilliant. I still feel sorry to this day about
    getting Enrica killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

COYVB wrote: »
    You can genuinely play it however you want, BUT playing as a ghost is much more highly rewarded. The player is shepherded towards stealthy play by getting more rewards, xp and in-game currency for going undetected. Regardless of what's been shown so far, it IS stealth focused

Hardcore mode is ridiculous too, ramps it right up

That's great news. I can't remember how many times I tried to finish chaos theory with no detection. Love the stealth aspect of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Wasn't intending on buying it but these descriptions have made me very excited about Splinter Cell for the first time in years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement