Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crying it out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Xdancer wrote: »
    That's awful. That is just cruel. Leaving a child to cry for a few minutes is ok, but 2 hours is horrific!

I think you'd need to be made of stone to do that! It breaks my heart seeing our little man get that upset. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Can I ask ladies, did your LO's ever sleep through the night or go down awake and nod off before you needed to use CIO method.

My little guy is only 18 weeks and since he was 8 weeks he has always gone down awake and gone to sleep himself, never cried, the last 3-4weeks he goes down himself and is sleeping the night, he is asleep with in 5mins of going down. Doesn't even have to have soother to nod off, if he does he spits it out soon after falling asleep.

Is it possible that further down the line he will rebel against going to sleep on his own or is it generally if you always soothed baby to sleep that you may have this issue?

I'm defo not strong enough for CIO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Our little man nodded off last night on his own. Gave him an ice pop to cool his gums and he sat on the couch watching Tales of Friendship, went out to the kitchen and made a cup of tea and when I came back in, he was passed out with half an ice pop on his chest, it was only 7:30, he usually doesn't go down till about 8:30! I didn't know what to be doing with the extra time we had last night :) He slept till 4, had some water and didn't wake again till 8:45, I could get used to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

elly123 wrote: »
    Can I ask ladies, did your LO's ever sleep through the night or go down awake and nod off before you needed to use CIO method.

My little guy is only 18 weeks and since he was 8 weeks he has always gone down awake and gone to sleep himself, never cried, the last 3-4weeks he goes down himself and is sleeping the night, he is asleep with in 5mins of going down. Doesn't even have to have soother to nod off, if he does he spits it out soon after falling asleep.

Is it possible that further down the line he will rebel against going to sleep on his own or is it generally if you always soothed baby to sleep that you may have this issue?

I'm defo not strong enough for CIO.

We always put our fella down awake (but sleepy) since he was a newborn and he went to sleep himself.

Then it all went to sh1t when he was coming up to 4 months and teething and generally acting the maggot with sleep. We had to comfort him to sleep but it didn't take that long. It was a phase and he went back to going to sleep on his own by about 5 months. I discovered it by accident as I turned on his music mobile thingy, left the room for a sec, came back and he was asleep.

Then we went through having to stay in the room with him when he was about 9 months as we'd just moved, again a phase for about a week or two roughly.

Now we're at the year mark and we're having to sooth to sleep again (making him lie down, singing to him, rubbing his back) for the past two weeks but again I'm told it's a phase and should be able to get him back to going to sleep himself. *fingers crossed*

Never did cry it out but we might let him chat & whinge for a bit, go in and put the dodie back in, rinse and repeat a couple times and he'd go off himself. A couple times he'd start crying and I'd begin making my way up the stairs to him and he'd be asleep by the time I got to his room.

Recently we tried a little crying it out but it just didn't feel right and he ended up getting hysterical one night and we just said forget it. It just wasn't the right thing for him and us so we've chalked it up as a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

That is great that your little fella sleeps! Be aware if 18 week sleep regression where for a few nights he may not sleep as well as normal.

Fingers crossed you just have a good sleeper :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

OP how's your little man doing now? And your wife? Did you try any of the suggestions here?
    Hope things are going better

Advertisement