Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to transfer money from Ireland to Canada?????

Options
  • 26-07-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi just wondering whats the best way to transfer money from Ireland to Canada? bank of Ireland have any fee charges?

Or can i put my money in a cheque and lodge it in a canadian account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

gemie wrote: »
    Hi just wondering whats the best way to transfer money from Ireland to Canada? bank of Ireland have any fee charges?

I just use my debit card out here and when i need to withdraw money take out about 600/700 at a time nd theirs no charge

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gemie

do you have saving's with your bank of ireland account maybe that's why you don't get charged or you have a student account?! see I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

Hi, I use www.xe.com several times and find them good, no fees. It was a bit confusing at first, I order it online then you go online or I go to my branch to send the money to xe who then forward it to the bank account in the US in my case. The way to avoid fees is to ask XE for their Irish bank Account - that way no bank fees. The first time unused them I didn't know and ulster bank charged me €15. I find it easy now to do. I was also worried they'd keep my money! But never an issue or delay.

margo321 wrote: »
    Hi, I use www.xe.com several times and find them good, no fees. It was a bit confusing at first, I order it online then you go online or I go to my branch to send the money to xe who then forward it to the bank account in the US in my case. The way to avoid fees is to ask XE for their Irish bank Account - that way no bank fees. The first time unused them I didn't know and ulster bank charged me €15. I find it easy now to do. I was also worried they'd keep my money! But never an issue or delay.

Thanks a million I will look into this :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

currencyfair.com are great too, I'd highly recommend them.

• Advertisement

bopper wrote: »
    currencyfair.com are great too, I'd highly recommend them.

currencyfair: lodge money with them, then they change your money to canadian dollars how do i know I'm getting the best transfer money deal with them ??? then they lodge into my new canadian bank account....? do they charge any fee for transferring money to canadian dollars they have to!!! every place does, get some commission base!

have you used them personally???:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

currencyfair: lodge money with them, then they change your money to canadian dollars how do i know I'm getting the best transfer money deal with them ??? then they lodge into my new canadian bank account....? do they charge any fee for transferring money to canadian dollars they have to!!! every place does, get some commission base!

Yeah I have used them and they give a great exchange rate, I saved 139 dollars than if I had transferred directly from bank to bank. They only charged me 4 dollars to make the actual transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

currency fair offer a very good exchange rate which is very close to the actual rate which is way better than any bank on the high street can offer.
    check the rate on currencyfair then compare it the xe.com site and then check any banks rate.
    currencyfair only charge 3euro for the transfer that it so you tansfer your money from your currencyfair account which is in canadian dollars to your canadian bank account which should only take 2-3days.

gary27 wrote: »
    currency fair offer a very good exchange rate which is very close to the actual rate which is way better than any bank on the high street can offer.
    check the rate on currencyfair then compare it the xe.com site and then check any banks rate.
    currencyfair only charge 3euro for the transfer that it so you tansfer your money from your currencyfair account which is in canadian dollars to your canadian bank account which should only take 2-3days.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

I'm trying to do the reverse; transfer money from Canada back to Ireland, anyone any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

try transfermate.com, irish company regulated in canada and ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Currencyfair's acc in canada is with national bamk in toronto, so you may incur some charges transferring to that first from your canadian bank before the money is transferred to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

currencyfair arent regulated in canada so no protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    I just use my debit card out here and when i need to withdraw money take out about 600/700 at a time nd theirs no charge

Where do you take out that much? I am limited to $300 per day here in Vancouver..

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

Beebox wrote: »
    I'm trying to do the reverse; transfer money from Canada back to Ireland, anyone any recommendations?

Use RBC, can be done easily online and only $13.50 per transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Roonbox wrote: »
    Where do you take out that much? I am limited to $300 per day here in Vancouver..

Im with Bank of Ireland at home and TD here in Canada and I can withdraw $600 a day. Has to be $300 twice though. Not sure why! Was pretty much 6 of 1 half dozen of the other for charges doing it that way or transferring.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

hi all just wondering can i transfer all my savings from my Irish account to my new Canadian bank, like all at once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Once I arrived in Canada, I set up my bank account with TD. With online banking in Ireland, I requested a new transfer beneficiary and filled in my Canadian details. They sent a letter out to my Irish address and I got the code from my parents. Then I could transfer from Bank of Ireland to TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

I recommend http://www.currencyfair.com/ if thats an option,
    lower transfer fee and better exchange rate than the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

I transferred money from Ulster Bank to my account here easily enough. For 8000 euro the cost was 16 euros so not too bad really.

Now if only I could transfer my record collection as easily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

So take out an appropriate amount in CAD in Ireland before leaving, arrive in Canada, set up a new bank account asap, then send money from Irish account to Canadian? It doesn't get simpler than that...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Once I arrived in Canada, I set up my bank account with TD. With online banking in Ireland, I requested a new transfer beneficiary and filled in my Canadian details. They sent a letter out to my Irish address and I got the code from my parents. Then I could transfer from Bank of Ireland to TD.

Fees?

Also, TD just added Visa International Transfers, which is great compared to wire transfers.

Advertisement