Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New'ish brewer

Options
  • 26-07-2013 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi forum, lots of great info here much appreciated for the collective wisdom!

Planning on taking a trip to thehomebrewcompany tomorrow to replenish some supplies of equipment as my homebrew equipment has sat in the attic for nearly a decade. A couple of questions for the more knowledgeable.

1. Is the shop where the online business is based? ie Do they stock all that is available on the website in-store?

2. Planning on an extract brew to get back into the game;
    Going to make a Pale Ale to see if I can remember the processes;

Recipe
    Amber DME 1kg
    Coopers Light Extract 1.5kg
    Chinook bittering hops - 60 minutes
    Cascade Finishing Hops - 15 minutes
    SAFALE 04 yeast coz this summer is so warm

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Hi welcome back to the art!

Yes the shop is where the online business is based. I have been there, the shop is basically an office full of homebrew supplies connected to a big warehouse with all the grain, hops, yeast and equipment. My understanding is that their stock in the shop matches the stock on the website so buying something in the shop automatically deducts it from their system.

Recipe looks ok to me, I have never seen someone using amber DME before but given that you are combining it with the light extract it should be ok. Could you be tempted to steep some grain (Crystal) to give it a little bit more complexity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

Thanks very much Shiny. It's reassuring to know I won't be wasting a trip.
    Had a look at your blog from the link in your signature. Very nice set up you have there and I am looking forward to relaxing tonight and having a good nose around.

I could easily be tempted to steep some grains. Bizarely, I was looking to reintroduce myself to brewing with a session beer that would actually lack the complexity that steeping grains would add as I am not confident in painting the flavour palate until I get the processes ingrained again. But may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb so I am going to drop Coopers Pale and replace with the steeped Chrystal to see how I get on.

Thanks for the information with regard to shop, I am really looking forward to the pilgrimage now. And for the heads up on the Chrystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

You are more than welcome! I would keep the coopers pale otherwise you will end up with a 2% beer and nothing to balance the amount of amber you are adding.

If you are trying to ease yourself back in, you can be conservative with the crystal and steep only 250g of one of the light crystal malts. This will add some flavour and colour without any of the harsh flavours which can occur from adding too much of the darker crystal malts.

Have a look at some recipes to see what the other extract brewers are using as often some recipes have been brewed several dozen times and tweaked to give great flavour combinations. If you sort by the number of views/replies you will see the best ones.

Advertisement