Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4s sold as stolen?!

• 26-07-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I just upgraded from my iPhone4s Vodafone Bill pay. I unlocked the iPhone4s and then sold it to a lady heading to live in Canada.
    Now that she's there and trying to buy a sim to get the iPhone running, the shops there are telling her that the phone is "registered as stolen" and won't help her.

What's going on there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Fatscally wrote: »
    I just upgraded from my iPhone4s Vodafone Bill pay. I unlocked the iPhone4s and then sold it to a lady heading to live in Canada.
    Now that she's there and trying to buy a sim to get the iPhone running, the shops there are telling her that the phone is "registered as stolen" and won't help her.

What's going on there?

Sounds strange, surely you go into a store and get sim card , why even give the store your phone...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Might be better asking one of the reps on the Vodafone forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Might be better asking one of the reps on the Vodafone forum.
    I figured they won't be on until Monday so I came straight here. Just trying to do something to help them out. I feel a bit bad about it even though I'm sure it's not my fault. They've just emigrated and I wish it went smoother for them :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Maybe Vodafone unlocked it for u but it needs to be unlocked through iTunes with a none voda sim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Hmmm,

Well just in case she asks to return the phone for a refund, double check you get your phone back, and not a stolen one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Fatscally wrote: »

What's going on there?

My guess is now that's it's unlocked it needs to be activated in iTunes, tell her to pop a sim in and not to bother with the store.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

naasrd wrote: »
    My guess is now that's it's unlocked it needs to be activated in iTunes, tell her to pop a sim in and not to bother with the store.

Is that not why she was in the store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

How is registered as stolen in Canadian? I pretty sure when you register a phone stolen, its blocked from its home countries networks Eg 3 Ireland, O2 Ireland. But not O2 UK or T- Mobile germany.

Thats why stolen American phones end up in China or Brazil as they arent blocked from those countries networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

whiterebel wrote: »
    Is that not why she was in the store?

No. Go in, buy sim, leave, waffle free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Bear in mind that Canada's probably got amongst the most restrictive and least competitive mobile operators on the planet. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they just won't register a foreign-bought iPhone and are making some nonsense up.

If it has been unlocked through the Vodafone official channel, and you know the history of the handset, there's no reason it would be registered as "stolen".

It's possible she walked into a store and it wasn't iTunes activated and some muppet in the store went "ohh foreign phone, bought on line, it's stolen.."

That or she's scamming you for a charge-back or will return a dud phone.
    Do you have the IMEI on file?

Maybe one of the Vodafone reps could give you some kind of record of it having being officially unlocked and definitely not stolen.
    Send her that, and if she attempts any charge back against you, explain that you have all of the evidence that it is most definitely not stolen and that you will be contacting her local police station.

It could be charge-back fraud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement