Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student centre levy

Options
  • 26-07-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

Has the €72 levy been abolished or not? It's still on the fee schedule for 13-14.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Was it going to be abolished? That goes towards more than just a student centre, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There was a referendum to increase it which was voted down so I thought there was no levy any more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I was under the impression that it had expired, and that since the referendum failed to extend+increase it, it wouldn't make sense for it to be still be due...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Unless there was mis-communication and this year is the last of it. I was under the impression that it was the end of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

According to Paul Lee at the last Clubs and Socs meeting the fee was abolished

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware inquires are being made about it, so I'm sure the SU/UL will clarify the situation in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

"University of Limerick
    UL charges a student centre levy of €72 for full time students and €58 for part time students.
    It was decided in AY1994/95 to dramatically expand the Stables complex and
    provide a significantly wider range of services to the student body. It was 48
    agreed between the University and the UL Students Union to target funding
    for this project on a 50:50 basis, with the UL Foundation acquiring 50% of the
    funding from a range of donors and the balance of the funding being provided
    by a special student levy. In March 1995 a special levy of £30 per student
    was agreed following a referendum of the student body. This levy is linked to
    inflation and was to remain in place as long as necessary to provide the
    required 50% of the capital costs of the project. It was estimated that based
    on enrolment levels at that time and interest rates that the funding would be
    completed by 2008.

In 2003, UL students voted by way of referendum to provide funding to fund
    the construction of a boathouse. The project was to be funded through the
    extension of the student centre levy on the basis that the payment timetable
    was extended for a maximum of eight years from the existing termination date
    of AY2007/08 to AY2015/16 or less, should the said mortgage be repaid
    before the period of 8 years."

Exert from Pg47/48 http://www.hea.ie/files/files/file/ReviewOfStudentCharge.pdf

Has that mortgage been repaid? If so then no levy. if the mortgage hasn't been repaid then there is still a levy.

It would be nice if we could get a cost breakdown of the building... considering we paid for 50%/all of it...

reunion wrote: »
    Has that mortgage been repaid? If so then no levy. if the mortgage hasn't been repaid then there is still a levy.

The word going around all of last year was that the mortgage would be repaid and there would be no levy this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

http://www3.ul.ie/finance/docs/FeeScheduleAY1314.pdf
    Here is the fees schedule for 2013-14. On the last page the levy is mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

The word going around all of last year was that the mortgage would be repaid and there would be no levy this year.

I thought the word going around was that you wouldn't have to pay the levy when the current one finished.

I would like to see finances on the boathouse. How much has been paid and how much is left.

What happens if there is like 100k left and UL charges each student €72 and then there is 300k leftover (or whatever number it works out as). Does each student get a refund? does it go to the su?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Student Levy;

It has been brought to our attention that some students, primarily Post-Graduates, may have recently received information regarding admissions fees that included a student levy charge (for a new Student Centre). We would like to assure every student that no levy will be charged to students for this academic year.
    We have been in touch with the relevant University authorities and have confirmed that this information was sent to a small number of students in error and they are in the process of correcting this.

Emma

Advertisement