Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGH A&E flooded!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The drain that blocked is being monitored 24/7 at the hospital reception desk. It flicks between 3 different angles.

yHfZ2l6l.jpg

MOD: Click for bigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

I had a walk around the hospital this evening.

Several new portacabins extending into the car park where O.T used to be, together with 2 portable CT scanners. At least, that's what's written on the sides of the unit, though I suspect that at least one unit is an x-ray, rather than a CT scanner.

All of the new A&E is still closed off, with notices on the doors warning that it's a contaminated area, with no admittance.

Medical 1 closed off.

Radiology has one room open, the rest is boarded up.
    I forgot to check whether medical 2 & 3 were boarded up, but since everything on that corridor except coronary care has no access, I presume medical 2& 3 are out of commission, too.

Gynae is also boarded off, though there is a new partition with a doorway.
    There's a maintenance sign on the door.

There's construction going on alongside the link corridor between the main and old hospitals, roughly behind coronary care.

I got chatting to a staff member who said that some of the old hospital had already been demolished, and that it would be at least 6 months before the new A&E is up and running.

I'd believe it, too, because apart from the new prefabs/containers, some new flooring and cladding on the walls of the link corridors, and the construction behind coronary care, there's no evidence, from publicly accessible areas, of anything other than a general clean-out having been done to the rest of the affected areas, and that clean-out is far from complete, yet!

Don't get sick for awhile, if you can manage it, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was down there myself today, and got to compliment the staff yet again, they were excellent in the maternity dept.

Its a hard time for the hospital but I am sure it will get there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Senna wrote: »
    The drain that blocked is being monitored 24/7 at the hospital reception desk. It flicks between 3 different angles.

yHfZ2l6l.jpg

MOD: Click for bigger

I recall playing in that tunnel in the late seventies, maybe early eighties when it had been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Reports say it could cost 30 million euro to put right! :eek: 250,000 to upgrade the culvert...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Staggering incompetence. All this happened after a clear warning with the 2011 flood was simply ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

salonfire wrote: »
    Staggering incompetence. All this happened after a clear warning with the 2011 flood was simply ignored.

Wonder how much longer we'll have to wait for the "report"?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

I wouldn't hold my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

It's been a few months now.

The place must be due another flooding?

How's the enquiry coming along?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

How's the enquiry coming along?

Ha ha.

Enquiry? Sure twas only a couple of million of damage. We Irish don't do responsibility!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Hmmmm...

Mod note: Copyright image removed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Hmmmm...

Mod note: Copyright image removed

Is this from this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Is this from this week?

Probably from this evening, since it has again flooded according to the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Is this from this week?
    It's from about an hour ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Kinda it's the last hour, huge downpour, reports of 35mm in an hour. Another cloud burst just now, serious thunder an lightening!!

I feel reassured knowing we have some of the best payed planners and architects in the world designing our hospitals.

Wait for the one in a thousand years excuse.

We really can do **** all right in this country. And guess as to how many people will be held responsible for this? None.

This was my post from a year ago.

Obviously **** all was done to prevent it happening again!

Maybe we should get all the reports Michael martin had drawn up and use them as a dam!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry guys, but there are initials on that pic and hence it is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I knew the hospital roundabout was flooded, but if it happened in A/E again, words just fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

NIMAN wrote: »

"Not severe" it says re water getting into the hospital, and the photos make it look like some sandbags kept it at the doors of A/E, which is good. But it shouldn't have got anywhere near the doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

"Not severe" it says re water getting into the hospital, and the photos make it look like some sandbags kept it at the doors of A/E, which is good. But it shouldn't have got anywhere near the doors.

Who's discarded cylinder of gas will they blame this time...

NIMAN wrote: »

No. This is Ireland!

Nobody is responsible for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

My heart goes out to the staff and patients. My Dad got a phone call at 6.30 this evening to say that the were putting the major incident response out to all staff. This was his day off and he couldn't get back to the hospital as we're completely cut off here with the floods. The staff have to be commended for the conditions they had to endure over the last year and the major clean up they had to do last year. Something major will have to happen now. They can't keep putting lives on the line or have the staff work in such awful conditions. They should rebuild the hospital in a secure location!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

A lot of activity about there, looks bad. I was in Derry this evening, just home but was dropping a friend off up the mountain top-looks to be a lot of flooding up there. Roads are a mess as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Its mayhem in here ive been in since Saturday butthere major emergency plan went into action apparently a&e is flooded but not as bad as last time. ambulances aren't been accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

They were sending incoming patients to sligo this week anyway as they were understaffed. i really think they should take all bank of irelands 300m profit and spend it on the health service. They helped cause this after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think planning was got for flood aleviation work a few months back. Obviously nothing done in the interim.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

The water appeared to come from the other side than last time ie from the Main Road and the Errigal College side, while the last time was from more Glencar direction where the culvert and Digger are.

The problem is simply it was built in a hole and that same location flooded when the Mortuary was there in 1998

It should never have been built that low and the ground floor certainly should not have been used as it is - they'd have been better to either put significant storm drains around the complete building or start and build a new A&E at a higher level and connect to the building using the bottom floor for some other non emergency use

The problem still is though that if water gets in through this there is still a problem if it gets into the main/older buildings.

Serious drainage is needed at the very least right around. I cannot see how they will get Insurance next year on this, can't see any comeback for those who failed miserably in all the planning of this

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Lets put it like this:

Its a fiasco that it was built there given flooding of the time back as far as 1998

The tax payer paid for the emergency services to turn out last night and will also pay for the private companies that assisted - not withstanding the excellent work that all their employees did

The staff of Letterkenny General Hospital are not paid to do, and should not be expected to be called in on a EMERGENCY for things like this - they have enough to be doing - even if these kind of events are 'once in 13 Months' scenario - which is purely down to something that the anyone with common sense could see would happen (obviously these type of events and common sense were skipped in planning)

The town and its surroundings in many parts lacked emergency response to flooding as all the emergency services (which have to be paid for somehow) were tied up dealing with a problem that not only was obvious decades ago but we were told was solved in the past year.

Anyone involved in the solution since last July should be worried about their jobs today - Unlikely

Thank god there was not a serious fire within a 20 mile radius last night - emergency services are not there to mop up poor planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wonder what the insurance situation will be!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement