Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGH A&E flooded!!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Lets put it like this:

Its a fiasco that it was built there given flooding of the time back as far as 1998

The tax payer paid for the emergency services to turn out last night and will also pay for the private companies that assisted - not withstanding the excellent work that all their employees did

The staff of Letterkenny General Hospital are not paid to do, and should not be expected to be called in on a EMERGENCY for things like this - they have enough to be doing - even if these kind of events are 'once in 13 Months' scenario - which is purely down to something that the anyone with common sense could see would happen (obviously these type of events and common sense were skipped in planning)

The town and its surroundings in many parts lacked emergency response to flooding as all the emergency services (which have to be paid for somehow) were tied up dealing with a problem that not only was obvious decades ago but we were told was solved in the past year.

Anyone involved in the solution since last July should be worried about their jobs today - Unlikely

Thank god there was not a serious fire within a 20 mile radius last night - emergency services are not there to mop up poor planning.

while not a fire the fire brigade were called to the town hall in Ramelton last night as the kids that were in there were stranded on the stage with the water level so high.

They couldn't come down due to clean up or whatever in LK so they had to get a tractor and trailer in to bring the kids out.

I'm gonna say though, if there was a serious fire and lives were in danger i'm pretty sure the Fire Brigade would prioritise and you could say the same about what would happen if there was 2 serious fires on opposite sides of letterkenny at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Anyone else had their water cut off today? Up mountain top an its off most of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

madalig12 wrote: »
    Anyone else had their water cut off today? Up mountain top an its off most of the day.

We're up near the MT, fine all day for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why is it in Ireland that no-one is ever responsible for anything?
    Flooded, spend €42,000,000 and then flood again less than a year later.

Of all the disasters that have happened, no-one has ever been nailed for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why is it in Ireland that no-one is ever responsible for anything?
    Flooded, spend €42,000,000 and then flood again less than a year later.

Of all the disasters that have happened, no-one has ever been nailed for them.

No-one will be this time, either!
    I'd love to know what the rationale was for digging into the hill in the first place?
    I can understand that having the hospital on three different levels was less than desirable, but surely it would have been preferable to creating a funnel to channel water into a new multi-million A&E?

The most sickening thing about it is that funds aren't available for a nuerologist or vascular surgeon in LGH - yet this kind of debacle happens, and funds can be found without question. Its annoying!

The fact that so many areas in Donegal were flooded last night would suggest that existing drainage systems may no longer be adequate. Who wants to bet that there will be no investigation, or checks by the county engineers, because there is no money to upgrade the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

We're up near the MT, fine all day for us.

Strangely when builders a few doors down the estate went home it came back on, didn't see them near my water stop and can't think why they would have been anyhow. No idea what's happened to it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Could I suggest that the authorities hire the services of a good Singapore engineer to design a system of monsoon drains around the hospital.
    People out there in the monsoon zone experience a season of these types of downpour every year and are expert in dealing with them.
    Our muttoners with their third class degrees from our third class universities obviously can't cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This 'Expertise' or even 'Common Sense' that you speak of above, is certainly not welcomed in the corridors of power in Donegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

People on here have mentioned the use of emergency services such as the fire service & the gardai in helping with the recent flooding problems.
    I am completely baffled as to why the Civil defence were not used. They are funded by Donegal County Council, their purpose is to provide these type of services. If they are not mobilised in times of emergency then what is the point having them at all, disband them & spend the much needed funds elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Could I suggest that the authorities hire the services of a good Singapore engineer to design a system of monsoon drains around the hospital.
    People out there in the monsoon zone experience a season of these types of downpour every year and are expert in dealing with them.
    Our muttoners with their third class degrees from our third class universities obviously can't cope.
    your over rating the irish county councils...
    when the new building regs were coming in someone i know in another area asked a question... not meant as a pot shot but a defence of those excluded which went along the lines of;
    "so only architects, engineers and building surveyors will be able to submit certs and sign off on design drawings and issue certs of compliance, will the people receiving and validating them be similarly qualified?"

- guess how it was taken...

• Advertisement
Advertisement