Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feel like I being victimised by employer

Options
  • 26-07-2013 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I work for a big retail company I have a review coming up in work as i was approached to say it would be next week I asked what day and time it would be as I wanted to have a shop union rep with me and I was told I didnt need one and I said I am entitled to have someone there. And I was told that I wouldnt be having anyone with me and I wad being childish and petty for asking about bringing shop union rep into a review. Is it my legal right to have a rep in with me and am I being victimised for asking.....?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I work for a big retail company I have a review coming up in work as i was approached to say it would be next week I asked what day and time it would be as I wanted to have a shop union rep with me and I was told I didnt need one and I said I am entitled to have someone there. And I was told that I wouldnt be having anyone with me and I wad being childish and petty for asking about bringing shop union rep into a review. Is it my legal right to have a rep in with me and am I being victimised for asking.....?????

You usually only bring a union rep to disciplinary meetings. Everyone gets annual reviews. Never heard of anyone bringing a union rep to a review meetings. I think that is why they reacted the way they did. Unless of course you think the review is going to be bad. My previous reviews were always rather friendly and informal. Never needed a union rep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You don't have a legal right for representation at an annual review; you would have such rights for a disciplinary and there's a world of difference between the two...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not sure if the rules re the same in every place but where I work, you are allowed to have your immediate manager/supervisor or someone you trust with you at any meeting. Don't think the Union rep is needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Have you read your employee handbook?

If not that is a good place to start.

As other have said, if this was a performance review then there was no need to have anyone present, even if you knew that the review was going to be very bad.

If your performance had been so bad as to warrant formal disciplinary action then your review would be followed by a separate meeting to address the disciplinary items.

If I was your supervisor / manager I would see this as a major trust issue and you probably have some serious work to do to repair this relationship, if that is in fact possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Remember OP - a performance review is just that a review.
    It is not the place a good manager will "surprise" you with unfavourable comments. Nothing there should be a surprise.
    Prep yourself.
    Draw out a list of your achievements / positives.
    Also draw out a list of what you know you could improve on and have some suggestions on how next year could be better - with some help...

Bringing a union rep though to a review - have never heard of that - not to say it isn't done, but even when I worked in a unionised factory I never ever saw that - and where I was the union was very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Sounds like you will probably get a chance to bring in the union rep soon enough with that attitude.

Advertisement