Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water jobs

• 26-07-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Is it true that limerick has lost out on the 400 Irish water jobs?

Thought that was in the bag for raheen.....

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Confirmed for Cork back in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those jobs were confirmed for Cork ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Well I hope the workers wear hard-hats because there will be some banging going on, especially with folks hitting the water meter man over the head with their brolly.

It's a temporary job so will it be worth the few extra bob from being the unemployed construction crowd ? Getting my brolly ready for the time :mad:

Putting a water meter in my home forcibly is akin to coming into my home and forcing a condom on my hose when i don't want the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They won't be putting it on your property. It will be put outside under the street path where the pipes from your home connects to the mains in the street. It's probably there already if your house was built in the last 10 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

bazz26 wrote: »
    They won't be putting it on your property. It will be put outside under the street path where the pipes from your home connects to the mains in the street. It's probably there already if your house was built in the last 10 years or so.

Apartment ? Has to be installed inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Not doing apartments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Apartments are being left until a second phase until they can work out how to do it effectively.

Seeing as bord gais networks and ESB can do it no problem, I can't for the life of me figure out why water can't be done the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

source wrote: »
    Apartments are being left until a second phase until they can work out how to do it effectively.

Seeing as bord gais networks and ESB can do it no problem, I can't for the life of me figure out why water can't be done the same way.

With gas, electricity, cable tv, each apartment has its own separate service connection.
    With water, a number of apartments will share a feed from one rising main which is fed from the mains supply outside. Depending on the structure of the apartment block, this could be anything from 2-3 up to a dozen or so, may even more if pumps are used to boost the pressure, per rising main.

I presume there have been changes made to the planning laws that will insist that in future each household unit will have to have its own separate water supply, which could then be metered from outside. But I wouldn't be surprised if no one had thought of this yet!

I wonder when we're going to get the reductions in income tax, VAT, etc to balance out the fact that the cost of water supply will no longer be taken from these sources. :rolleyes: :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

How about a house split into two apartments?....how will that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

redron74 wrote: »

I wonder when we're going to get the reductions in income tax, VAT, etc to balance out the fact that the cost of water supply will no longer be taken from these sources. :rolleyes: :mad:

According to Min. Hogan and FG this wasn't brought in as an extra tax, it was brought in to spread the tax burden. If they stand true to this belief then some tax rates should be reduced.

Anyone holding their breath would be advised to stop now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement