Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure where I stand in work

Options
  • 26-07-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Working for about a year in a job and it's fine, my supervisor and manager are strict but I admire them greatly.

My appraisal was not as good as some of my closest friends on the team, I recognize this and I'm certainly not a star but I do my best and the appraisal had some good points too. Never been in trouble, one girl got a verbal warning but has improved since. Others had weekly meetings to discuss performance, I never had that.

I've been moved to a new manager to what I consider a serious step backwards in my career. Teammates have commented that's it's not a great use of my experience, it's stuff like scanning documents and archiving boxes. I trained most of teammates and they are staying with my old boss and getting exciting new opportunities and training.

While I was upset at first I never complained to a manager and I've come around to being positive and made suggestions which seemed to impress. I've been as enthusiastic as I can be. I've lost most of daily tasks so I'll be struggling to keep busy but I turned that around to ask for more work.

I'm happy for my teammates and their achievements and I do feel hurt and feeling left behind but I'll be professional and get on with it and see where it's going after Christmas

My senior boss is here six months and in my appraisal this week he said his initial impression of me was I was a hard worker, very diligent, tended to work a bit independantly of the team and I tend to be hard on myself. And that his opinion had changed a lot in the last 2 to 3 months.

That's fair. And I acknowledge the harshest critic of me is myself! But I use that to drive and try to do realy well.

Overall he was very happy and I need to relax and enjoy the job more and stop worrying so much.

I was flustered in that meeting and I can't recall everything that was said.

I'm second guessing myself all week what does it mean his opinion changed. For better? For worse?

Is it ok to approach the manager to ask this again? Or would it just be annoying and I should have been listening more. But I've missed this point and now I'm worrying.

He is not my boss, he's my bosses boss. Actually on my new post job I'll report to someone else but he's still around. I respect him greatly but can I ask him to clarify this? Better by email or just ask for sec?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi OP - I am moving your post to Work Problems as that seems more appropriate.

Can I remind anyone who has followed this from PI the WP charter now applies, please review it if it's your first time here.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

I wouldn't see a problem approaching your boss about this, it would show you are genuinely interested in the job and that you want to do the work.

I had a kind of similar situation a few weeks ago, people can review the place I work online and I saw a review that I thought was quite harsh on me personally and had a couple of lies in it. I couldn't think of anything else after reading it so I just e-mailed my boss quoting the review and the points I felt were harsh. He spoke to me the following day and said not to worry about it and that he was delighted how much interest I was taking in my job.

Basically, ask your boss to chat about your appraisal, ask him where you need to improve to climb the ladder again and he should be delighted you are showing a lot of interest. Good luck

Advertisement