Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia - Few Questions!

Options
  • 26-07-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

Hi

Hope nobody minds, just want to ask a few questions and hopefully get some good advice before I travel later in the year (September).

Ideally, I'd love to know what I should really do, where must I see etc.

I'm going for about 8 weeks and my budget will be probably about €5000 - this will have to include everything - Food, Travel, Acccomodation, Sightseeing. I'm hoping that will be enough although maybe someone can advise on this too as I might be able to stretch it a little more.

I will probably be looking to spend a fair bit of time in Sydney - Does anyone know of any places that might rent out somewhere nice for a month or so for a reasonable price? Recommend short term lettings or will I have to go with hostels?

I think I'd like to do Whitsundays / Fraser Island and visit Melbourne but other than that I'm clueless!

Thanks (in advance!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Hi Poptarts,

Are you travelling alone? A hostel in the city or surroundings will probably set you back about $250-$270 a week? Renting a studio on a short time basis will really vary from 300-400 to 600. Try gumtree for short term accommodation - that would prob be the best place to start!Just google short term accommodation in Sydney and there are plenty of websites. Booking in advance would prob be a good idea though.

The budget should be fine but you will definitely need to be keeping your eye on the funds. You can get a backpacker deal to do the east coast for about 1500/1600 with a bit of bargain hunting. You can include things and leave certain things out. if you are planning to fly interstate then book your flights in advance, you will save cash as the prices can creep up booking short term!! Or if you don't mind bus-ing it then you can get the greyhound that will generally be included in your price for the east coast.

Your budget will really depend on how much going out etc you want to do. Drinking is expensive here but if you are in a hostel then you will fall in with people and do it on the cheap.

I live in Sydney! So if you have nay questions about the City! Just PM me.

Have a great trip!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

That alot for a hostel, ive seen loads for 20 per night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Whitsundays/FrasierIsland is a fair way from Sydney...talking about a 20 hour drive to Frasier.

If you want to get around, use www.standbyrelocs.com to get 1 way rental return vehicles for free/$1/$5 a day from one place to another. It's a bit restrictive with the amount of days you have the vehicle, the km's you can drive etc... but you can get lucky and get a camper so it sorts out your accommodation issues and saves you money.

If you plan it right you can arrange to pick one up, drop it off and pick another up to continue your travels as you please. You have all the benefits (apart from an open time schedule) of owning a car and very little of the expense. On top of that, if you have it all planned, put ads on gumtree for rideshares and get 2-3 more backpackers going in the same direction as you to share the cost of fuel. As you'll be doing all the driving (which you will be...with the insurance in your name and most backpackers coming from left hand driving countries) its fair to overcharge slightly so it costs you nothing in fuel. Everyone else still gets a cheap ride.
    I did it when I bought my landcruiser in Cairns and had 12 different people from gumtree rideshare at different times all the way to Sydney. Only cost me $40 to go 3000km!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swazzie

pete4130 wrote: »
    Whitsundays/FrasierIsland is a fair way from Sydney...talking about a 20 hour drive to Frasier.

If you want to get around, use www.standbyrelocs.com to get 1 way rental return vehicles for free/$1/$5 a day from one place to another. It's a bit restrictive with the amount of days you have the vehicle, the km's you can drive etc... but you can get lucky and get a camper so it sorts out your accommodation issues and saves you money.

If you plan it right you can arrange to pick one up, drop it off and pick another up to continue your travels as you please. You have all the benefits (apart from an open time schedule) of owning a car and very little of the expense. On top of that, if you have it all planned, put ads on gumtree for rideshares and get 2-3 more backpackers going in the same direction as you to share the cost of fuel. As you'll be doing all the driving (which you will be...with the insurance in your name and most backpackers coming from left hand driving countries) its fair to overcharge slightly so it costs you nothing in fuel. Everyone else still gets a cheap ride.
    I did it when I bought my landcruiser in Cairns and had 12 different people from gumtree rideshare at different times all the way to Sydney. Only cost me $40 to go 3000km!

I've used standby relocs a number of times and they are fantastic, you just need to be a bit flexible.
    While you usually get a set amount of days to get from point a to b and sometimes fuel allowance they also let you extend the number of days , you just pay the extra hire per day. For example we picked a 6 berth camper up in broome and we had 5 days to get it to Perth and were given fuel allowance of 350. As it was off season we added three days to the trip @ $75 dollars a day rental- way way cheaper than if we'd tried to hire a camper.
    Definitely worth looking into

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

swazzie wrote: »
    I've used standby relocs a number of times and they are fantastic, you just need to be a bit flexible.
    While you usually get a set amount of days to get from point a to b and sometimes fuel allowance they also let you extend the number of days , you just pay the extra hire per day. For example we picked a 6 berth camper up in broome and we had 5 days to get it to Perth and were given fuel allowance of 350. As it was off season we added three days to the trip @ $75 dollars a day rental- way way cheaper than if we'd tried to hire a camper.
    Definitely worth looking into

Sounds good Swazzie. What month did you travel Broome to Perth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Avoid Broome, it is a complete dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swazzie

My_Sharona wrote: »
    Sounds good Swazzie. What month did you travel Broome to Perth?

Feb which was not the smartest time as it was still wet season but it was fine.
    Broome and the surrounding area is beautiful .

Advertisement