Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miniature Husky?

• 26-07-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Just saw an ad (while looking for a rat cage, don't worry!) for a purebred miniature husky. Does such a thing even exist? From what I can see on the picture, it doesn't actually look like any form of husky, small or otherwise. Is this just another invented name for a cross-bred husky with one small-breed parent?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It actually does - dwarfism in that breed. Not that anyone should be breeding deliberately for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm holding out for a teacup husky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

No such thing. Just a name tagged onto it to make it more appealing. Saw an ad for a 'miniature' bernese mountain dog not too long ago as well:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Was horrified to see it! Obviously I get that genetic mutations do happen, and they do lead to new breeds eventually. But a dog like that which was bred to be big, has received most of the genetic information to be big, and has somehow accidentally ended up small... Well I can imagine there are health risks in spades there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Was horrified to see it!
    Can you PM me the link. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

anniehoo wrote: »
    Can you PM me the link. Thanks.

Sent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Managed to find the ad...the person advertising the dog comes across as a complete moron :(
    Anyway, while that dog is clearly a crossbreed, the closest that would exist to a miniature husky would be the Alaskan Klee Kai. The AKK is a relatively newfangled breed (created in the 70s) and is not recognised by any European Kennel club. I don't think any exist in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Miley Cyrus has one of those. I think they look really nice!
    http://www.crittr.com/miley-cyrus-and-floyd-whats-the-breed

Advertisement