Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is tap water in Co. Kildare drinkable?

Options
  • 26-07-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

or Dublin water?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes generally.
    There maybe specific area with issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cloudySky

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Yes generally.
    There maybe specific area with issues though.

Hmm... What areas? Towns, villages, rural areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I found a big difference with a jug filter, living in maynooth

Staplor wrote: »
    I found a big difference with a jug filter, living in maynooth

Hi Staplor. I am actually interested in getting one but I haven't done any research and don't know what is available etc. I have seen few reviews on water filters and from what I remember the best one had 2 microgrids (top and bottom) and between active carbon similar in thickens to mineral wool. This one filtered crystal clear water out of reddish-brown water (rusted pipes). If inside are granules then I probably wouldn't spend money on that.

Does it say on your filter package what is inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Mines just a Britta jug filter. €20 jobby. Might look at a proper filter in the future though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

cloudySky wrote: »
    Hmm... What areas? Towns, villages, rural areas?

No I dea ,I just can not say for certain that all the water is drinkable as I do not know.
    We are in Maynooth and the kids drink gallons of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

What does "drinkable" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kildare Resident

If you are referring to the recent changes to the supply of the water in Kildare, yes it is drinkable, KCC have adverts on local radio at the moment saying that it is to standard. You may have to invest in a water softener to remove the lime for it but it is safe to drink. Using hard water in the kettle/shower etc.... will decrease the life of the unit but fitting a water softener will resolve this problem.

I had a guy at the door (in Kildare Town) with a petition to try to get KCC to soften the water at source and one thing he said was that the supply to Rathangan was softened at source there, I have since checked this out and it seems not to be the case, TBH the guy in question seems to jump on any passing bandwagon........

I will go for Aquaphor jug. Here is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Usually fine, occasionally gets a salty taste in Maynooth which the overly specific denials have me suspect is overchlorination though. Have a Brita Maxtra which is used for actual drinking water but don't bother for anything else - its nearly all boiled for tea/pasta/rice/whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Dunno about Maynooth but all water in Celbridge and Leixlip comes from the Fingal Co Co plant in Leixlip. It supplies about 40% of Dublin too, so standards from that plant have to be very high.

The water out of the plant is quite hard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

picked up a britta filter in tesco Naas for e11 special offer. had to because the water in our areas tastes rotten since the change over and no matter how long you run it the tap water is warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kildare Resident

siochain wrote: »
    picked up a britta filter in tesco Naas for e11 special offer. had to because the water in our areas tastes rotten since the change over and no matter how long you run it the tap water is warm.

That's probably because the ground is so warm at the moment, you'll find that'll change when the winter sets in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

That's probably because the ground is so warm at the moment, you'll find that'll change when the winter sets in
    na it started before the warm spell but your right in as far as it got worse over the last few weeks and I reckon the water from blessington reservoir would have a much lower starting temp than the barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

cloudySky wrote: »
    I will go for Aquaphor jug. Here is why.

Where did you get it?

Water periodically tastes a bit off or odd lately, so I'd like to get a filter of some kind. I'm always a little suspicious of comparison tests done by one of companies involved though.

Advertisement