Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescues with 'Designer Breeds'

• 26-07-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭

Just wondering what people's thought are on rescues advertising some of their dogs under 'designer names', instead of calling them crossbreeds or whatever. Personally, I don't like it, I think it only turns more people towards bybs and puppy farmers when they see a name like cockapoo, go look it up and then decide they want one. I understand that it might help rehome the dogs sometimes, but I still don't think it's a good idea. What do other people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well since most rescues release their dogs as neutered, I don't think it can really attract BYBs, especially since I've seen rescues charge around €100 to rescue a dog. Now, I totally understand the fee, but I don't think someone with unsavoury ideas about what to do with a dog are going to be encouraged by the name with that price tag if the dog cannot breed.

AFAIK some of the breeds have been known to be good for people with allergies, that prefer low-shed dogs, who like certain traits without the pure-breed price tag etc. Giving the dog a recognizable "breed" name alerts people to the type of dog it is.

I definitely don't agree with people trying to sell puppies with these "breed" names.

Edit: Just realised you mean it might turn people to BYBs to get such a breed. Again, don't think there is an issue - most people looking at rescue dogs are doing so because they like the idea of rescuing. And if they see a designer breed advertised and they decide they want one, then they'd likely go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I dont mean it attracts bybs but it might help lead people to bybs. Not everyone is suitable to rehome a rescue dog after all, but how many of them might see these designer names and go looking for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

No excuse and i dont like it but I guess it is more marketable than mongrel for some people.
    What's the problem with saying cross of breed x plus breed y?
    On a side note, how do vets maintain a serious face when customers pop in and introduce their puppy as a jack schitz or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Personally I think it legitimises these names for use by the puppy farmers.

Done correctly however it might help educate people who are mislead as to what a designer breed actually is. Rescue sites are commonly visited by people considering a dog as a pet and it might help remove the shine of the so called designer tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Most if not all pedigree dogs were breed by man. These designer breeds are no different from say toy breeds. When you breed lab-poodles with other lab poodles over time your creating a pure breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Rommie wrote: »
    I dont mean it attracts bybs but it might help lead people to bybs. Not everyone is suitable to rehome a rescue dog after all, but how many of them might see these designer names and go looking for one?

Unfortunately breed doesn't come into it with people like this. If they find they cannot be approved to rescue a dog (and in a lot of cases, rightfully so), they will go to a breeder of varying ethical standards regardless of the breed they want.

You would be very, very surprised at the amount of people who know what a Cavachon is, but not relate it to a KCC-Bichon cross :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

This is where the rescues could help educate people by pointing that out. Some people will not go for a cross breed but stick a fancy name on the same dog and they will.
    Until the breed is fully defined over generations and not just a first gen cross it seems like it is just puppy farmers trying to make a quick buck before moving on to the next new breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I do the website for a rescue and I never use the 'designer' names, those names drive me bonkers anyway but I do think that a rescue using them will make people think that the dogs are genuine breeds. Some of the names are so widely used that a lot of people don't realise they are makey up and are ringing the IKC looking for a breed club of X designer dogs

Advertisement