Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novels on WW1 for children age 9-11 - 100 yr anniversary 2014

Options
  • 27-07-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I am looking for some great books to purchase relating to WW1 for children age 9-11

I have two already by Michael Murpurgo, Private Peacful & War Horse

I am looking for 1 or 2 others equally as good and give good understanding to children in a fictional way.

Would really appreciate any other recommendations, Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, I've never come across a child friendly novel on WWI.
    However, for slightly older children I'd recommend , a comic essential - Charley's War. It depicts the experiences of an under-aged soldier in the war to end all wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭smurfette2212

There are a couple in the 'My Story' series. I think one is called 'The Trenches' and the other is a diary of a girl who goes to France looking for her brother. They are sort of fictionalised biographies for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭smurfette2212

Oh, and John Boyne's newest book is set during the First World War as well, though it isn't out until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I never read the books when I was young and theybe a bit dated now but Biggles was a huge success in book form and later on in TV and indeed in comic form.

Advertisement