Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Servicing Technics 1210's

Options
  • 27-07-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi, is there much involved in servicing these turntables yourself, has anyone here done their own machines? Is it a handy or fiddly job?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭scuba8

Unless you know what you are doing you could wreck the sound quality.
    Cloney audio in Blackrock might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

There's loads of vid tutorials on youtube, to show you what to do. Just need to be good with your hands, to sort them out. And depending on what needs to be replaced etc, you might need to be good with a soldering iron too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Cheers, thats more or less what I was thinking alright. I'll check youtube first up for a look,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

es-cee wrote: »
    There's loads of vid tutorials on youtube, to show you what to do. Just need to be good with your hands, to sort them out. And depending on what needs to be replaced etc, you might need to be good with a soldering iron too.

check out 'viperfrank' on YT for visual step by step guides to self servicing your techs....bare in mind these are aimed at those with atleast some competence in working with electrics :D

https://www.youtube.com/user/viperfrank/videos

Yeah thats sound, cheers for that. I think I'll be doing them myself alright, its not just the cash saving part thats appealing, its more the satisfaction of finding and knowing your way around your own decks. I've done basic work on car electrics, and I can solder, so I'll be fine I'd say Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What are you planning to do? There's nothing to "service" on a 1210 other than keeping them clean. Replacing parts is a different story, and as has been suggested viperfrank is the man to go to on YouTube.

Well that's kinda what I was trying to find out, a service might simply just involve cleaning the moving parts, as regards pitch faders etc. I'll probably replace the rca cables aswell on whatever pair I buy. I haven't bought 1210's yet, but I plan to shortly, returning back to the decks soon after a long break.
    Have you worked on, or taken apart 1210's/1200's yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well that's kinda what I was trying to find out, a service might simply just involve cleaning the moving parts, as regards pitch faders etc. I'll probably replace the rca cables aswell on whatever pair I buy. I haven't bought 1210's yet, but I plan to shortly, returning back to the decks soon after a long break.

I had a problem with an old 1210 that wasn't working and brought it to Aquarius Sound to get it fixed, and I asked them about getting the other one serviced and they said that there's nothing to service unless a part is broken and needs replacing.

Have you worked on, or taken apart 1210's/1200's yourself?
    Yeah, I've replaced the RCA cables and replaced the track lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Just got a cheap-ish pair of mk2's (300 yo-yos) and just noticed that one tonearm height adjuster is seized.

Viperfranks tutorials are very enlightening, might have a go at cleaning and lubricating the threads myself....

Both target lights are broken too, good opportunity to upgrade to LED's I think!

Slightly annoying, but what's life if you can't learn something new, and in the age of youtube and internet forums, there's really no excuse for not doing it all myself!

Advertisement