Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new mod...

Options
  • 27-07-2013 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

So i've come to the conclusion that my mod is a POS and has been the cause of turning 1/2 MOA groups into 1 1/2 MOA groups at the very least.

With that in mind, a new mod is needed. Im currently leaning towards a Wildcat Predator 8. Anyone have any suggestions on anything else or a good place to find one???

Also, needs to fit my 5/8"x18 thread. Appears to be harder to find from my inital google-fu.

cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Gun (factory or after market threaded), caliber, and what is your current mod?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Cass wrote: »
    Gun (factory or after market threaded), caliber, and what is your current mod?

Remington 700, .223, Heavy barrel in an AICS, after market threaded (huge improvement over the factory thread). Current mod was made by one the gun smiths in Ireland. Dont want to get into a mud slinging match and go naming but I know im not the only one to have trouble with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

My mate recently bought a JET Z CQBS mod for his 223.
    It is very well built and is very quiet.
    It is also small and compact and only adds 97mm to the length of the rifle.
    www.jacksonrifles.com are the importers so any dealer should be able to supply one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

What are your groups like without the mod?

I have a Third Eye Spartan on my new rifle, reflex, reasonable weight, not too big or bulky and does a very good job on noise reduction. I had a lend of an Atec CMM4 while I was waiting for the TET, also very very good but added 6" to my 24" barrel. Don't know if either come in your thread tho.
    Only one I know of is sonic 45

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

bravestar wrote: »
    Dont want to get into a mud slinging match and go naming but I know im not the only one to have trouble with them...
    The three main problems i've seen with mods are the following:
    1. Improper threaded rifle. Self explanatory and will cause the bullet to touch the mod as it is fired. This can be severe or barely touching and the deflection causes inconsistent groups and a widening of groups. Easy to check if the gun fires perfectly without mod.
    2. Mod too big. If the bore of the mod is way too big for the caliber it can allow the gases created when fired to actually go "around" the bullet and cause dflection. I;ve seen this twice. One lad had an 12mm bore on the mod for his .223 rifle. At 5.56mm that's 6.5mm for the gases to effect the bullet (or over 3mm all around the bullet). I use a .308 on my .243 but it's a 6mm bullet and 8.5mm bore. Meaning only 1.25mm around the bullet. It drops the round a little compared to when i've no mod on but only about 1" and it does not affect grouping.
    3. Default in the mod. It's rare but can happen. Similar to the improper threading of a rifle a mod with a defect such as poor threading or improperly drilled bore can have the same deflecting effect. You should see a graze or nick if the bullet is striking the mod at any point.

Here are a few mods and average prices. They do depend on where you buy them obviously.

Ase Utra S5/Jet-Z = €380

T8 = €265

Wildcat Predator = €295

I've given some observations based on usage and the rifles they were used on below.

An Ase Utra Jet-Z compact on a .308 & .243
    • Great mod, great results with little to no difference in POI out to 300yds with it on or off.
    • Easy enough to clean.
    • Best sound reduction.
    • Heavy on the end of the barrel.
    • More expensive than most other mods.
    • Tough wearing and will last as long as the owner if treated right.
    T8 on 30-06, .308 and .243
    • Good on the .243 and 30-06, but difference in POI with mod on was 7" at 200yds.
    • Prone to rusting.
    • No more difficult to clean than an Ase, etc.
    • Screws down over barrel so reducing excess weight on the end of the rifle.
    • Has a resonance when fired.
    • Cheapest of the current available stock of mods.
    • Lighter than the Ase.
    Wildcat on .223
    • Great mod, and very little in difference in POI with in on or off.
    • Lighter than the Ase and ( i think) the T8.
    • Screw down over the barrel for reduced weight.
    • Completely comes apart for easy cleaning.
    • Baffles can be changed allowig the mod to be used on a .223 up to .30cal wth new inners.
    • Polymer housing gives no resonance.
    • Cheaper than Ase, but a little more expensive than T8.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

lefthooker wrote: »
    What are your groups like without the mod?

I have a Third Eye Spartan on my new rifle, reflex, reasonable weight, not too big or bulky and does a very good job on noise reduction. I had a lend of an Atec CMM4 while I was waiting for the TET, also very very good but added 6" to my 24" barrel. Don't know if either come in your thread tho.
    Only one I know of is sonic 45

5 shot group at 100 metres without mod is one big hole. With the mod, your looking at a distinct seperate 5 shot group averaging around 2-2.5" at best.

What did the spartan set you back?

Thanks for all the replies guys. Going to ring around a few places and see what's out there as the web isn't giving me much luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

replaced my wildcat 8 on my tikka t3 lite 223 last week because it was just too heavy on the end of the short barell and spoiled the gun. Got a ATec maxim 6 baffle,beautiful piece of kit and extremely well made.It is a hybrid mod,everything that touches hot gases are in steel and everything else is in aluminium .Weighs about 60% of the wildcat.

gearoidol wrote: »
    replaced my wildcat 8 on my tikka t3 lite 223 last week because it was just too heavy on the end of the short barell and spoiled the gun. Got a ATec maxim 6 baffle,beautiful piece of kit and extremely well made.It is a hybrid mod,everything that touches hot gases are in steel and everything else is in aluminium .Weighs about 60% of the wildcat.

Where abouts did you get the atec?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I think it could have been €320, not totally sure. Got it from Dominic Byrne he'll tell ya quick enough. He also had Maxim, Cmm4 and S45 for me to choose from but the Spartan impressed me the most

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

bravestar wrote: »
    Where abouts did you get the atec?

Mike duggan killarney

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help lads. Think I'm going to go with a sonic 45, close second is an atec maxim 4.

Advertisement