Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Q - Can I go from 100m to 750m in 3 weeks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Also, what I see with others new to ow (and it happened to me too) is that the first few times you swim ow you will find it extremely hard and lose your bearings and lose your breath. Its colder, noisier, you have the elements, chop, currents, to contend with, and in a race situation, other swimmers hitting you from all angles. Practically everyone's first ow tri swim is pretty disastrous. And you are starting from a lower base than most.

So, if you must:
    Do at least 3 ow swims beforehand.
    Practice floating on your back and/or swimming backstroke.
    Stay to the very back of the pack.
    Stay calm and know the signal for help. (Lie on your back with your arm in the air).
    Keep your swim stroke slow, and stay relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

OP - yes but it was a 20m pool. I had spent weeks doing no more than 4 lengths at a time (repeatedly) but when I got going properly I took it easy and made sure I was breathing correctly. I wasn't concerned with speed, not that I would have gone faster if I wanted anyway. Tango made some great points, all very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I used to be simlar to yourself. I struggled to 100m in January now I swim 1200m 3 times a week. Furthest I've swam without stopping was 2000m and strangely it was because I was really thirsty. Odd or what.

Anyway when I had issues like you're having I found it was because I was doing to many strokes per length and completely ignored the glide section of my stroke. Try a slower pace and I find counting helps my breathing 1-2-3breath. I'm by no means front of the pack 15 mins ow 750. Just throwing out a few ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

why not do a "try a tri" for your first race...usually have a shorter swim...Worlds End Triathlon is coming up in a few weeks and it has a great "try a tri" in it for beginners...usually very popular with around 100 people racing it...its only a 175m river swim followed by 20k bike and 5k run..it would be a doddle for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

Trig1 wrote: »
    why not do a "try a tri" for your first race...usually have a shorter swim...Worlds End Triathlon is coming up in a few weeks and it has a great "try a tri" in it for beginners...usually very popular with around 100 people racing it...its only a 175m river swim followed by 20k bike and 5k run..it would be a doddle for you ;)

Thanks Trig, hadn't heard of this one, must look into it right away.....sounds perfect :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement