Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your favorite Christmas movie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Has anyone ever watched The Christmas Story? It's a massive film in the states and i decided to watch it a few years ago. God it's awful. Anyway not to turn the thread sour I love The Polar Express on blu ray, and its tradition for us to watch it with a hot chocolate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭santana75

Usually I try to restrain my Christmas-ness, but honestly I love the holiday season and this year I've decided to just let it all out. National lampoons Christmas vacation was on the other night on sky and I had no intention of watching the entire movie but I couldn't resist. I saw it first on my friends old VCR years ago at Christmas and I thought it was great. Its cynical enough film to be funny but at the same time its got a good heart. But thats not even my favorite crimbo movie. Bizarrely enough Lethal weapon is my favorite. I know its not about Christmas or anything but its set at Christmas which is enough for me and that intro with Jingle bell rock is one of the great movie openings ever.

Lethal weapon
    Gremlins
    Scrooged
    Groundhog day
    Christmas with the Kranks(I know its crap but for some reason I like it)
    The karate Kid
    Christmas vacation

I wanted to like the polar express but I found it to be strangely souless. Maybe its the animation, all the characters have these cold dead eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

It's a Wonderful Life.

Hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

ELF................at anytime of the year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Stojkovic wrote: »
    It's a Wonderful Life.

Hands down.

It's playing on a loop in my house on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

eamonnq wrote: »
    ELF................at anytime of the year!!

"SAAANTA!!!....I KNOW him" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

for me its die hard 2 ,the holiday & angelas ashes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Elf hands down. Watch it every time it's on, I mean it's got will ferrel on top form, james can who you'd watch just sit there all day and think he was brilliant, and zooey deschaniel who is just gorgeous beyond words. Brilliant. Bad santa is excellent too.
    Honourable mentions to the old stalwarts too, Willy Wonka, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Miracle on 34th street. Although 2 of those are only Christmas movies through lazy tv scheduling, I grew up watching them every Christmas so they're Christmas movies for me now!

Miracle on 34th street

I know this is probably sacrilegious but I really like the 1994 remake. I remember it came out around the same time as The Santa Clause which was a massive hit but I really hate that movie. Its mawkish and contrived and I just wanna shoot that kid, he's so annoying. The little girl in Miracle on 34th street was great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Has anyone ever watched The Christmas Story? It's a massive film in the states and i decided to watch it a few years ago. God it's awful.

I think it's just brilliant :D It's a different sort of Christmas movie. It's a realistic reflection of a traditional Christmas in the 1940's. They don't mess around with make-believe, flying reindeer, magic and all the fluff associated with it (which normally make for decent Christmas movies!). It's told from a totally honest and true point of view, from the parents waiting for the kids to go to bed so they can get the presents, to the grouchy store Santa Claus trying to get the screaming kids off his lap. Even the Christmas tree they put up in the living room is so accurate! It's full of different colours and covered in tacky tinsel, totally reminds me of my Grandparents' tree back in the day!

I came home from work and the boyfriend had Miracle On 34th Street on for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

I love Christmas films....I think because most of them have become traditions in our house.

Nightmare before Christmas and The Snowman would be the top can't pick between them. I usually try and watch them on Christmas Eve when wrapping presents. Really gets me in the mood and has become my tradition.

Of course there is the classics Home Alone 1 & 2, Santa Claus and Miracle on 34th street and Die Hard 1 & 2.

And the RTE favorites after Christmas (that I look at the rte guide to make sure when there on) Jaws, The great escape, Indian Jones, Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory! because lets face it we would be annoyed if there not on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

santana75 wrote: »
    I know this is probably sacrilegious but I really like the 1994 remake. I remember it came out around the same time as The Santa Clause which was a massive hit but I really hate that movie. Its mawkish and contrived and I just wanna shoot that kid, he's so annoying. The little girl in Miracle on 34th street was great though.

I like the remake too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The Holiday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

going to see frozen in 4 weeks time , looks like a bundle of laughs .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

santana75 wrote: »
    I wanted to like the polar express but I found it to be strangely souless. Maybe its the animation, all the characters have these cold dead eyes.

This film is often given as an example of something called the Uncanny Valley - the characters are too close to human-like, but we can still tell that they're not human and it induces a feeling of revulsion. This is why Pixar uses stylised characters (eg The Incredibles) in their films, as they are obviously cartoonish - there was a strong negative reaction to the mega creepy baby in one of their early short films

Back on topic though... I love Elf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Scarinae wrote: »
    This film is often given as an example of something called the Uncanny Valley - the characters are too close to human-like, but we can still tell that they're not human and it induces a feeling of revulsion. This is why Pixar uses stylised characters (eg The Incredibles) in their films, as they are obviously cartoonish - there was a strong negative reaction to the mega creepy baby in one of their early short films

Love this - what an interesting nugget.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Metacarpi

Elf and Home Alone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

In no particular order

Santa Claus the movie

Planes trains and automobiles

Polar express

Trading places, Coming to America

Home Alone

Willy Wonka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

I know I mentioned in on another thread years ago, but for me it will always be Santa Claus The Movie. Doesn't matter how many other santa movies come out but that one to me was my childhood and was the most realistic looking santa experience I ever had the enjoyment of watching throughout my childhood. i remember every Christmas Eve without fail it would be shown on BBC 1. From the whole workshop scenery, to the raindeer take off & the famous super dooper looper scene. So magical & just pure brilliance.

The Famous Take off Scene!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I love The Santa Clause with Tim Allen. Always makes me laugh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bad Santa for sure. Was just on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Jingle All The Way one of my favourites haven't seen it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

For Christmas film lovers... found this page that gives the line up of some of our favourites including my favourite On Moonlight Bay that are coming up on TCM.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.html?isPreview=&id=518186|474074&name=On-Moonlight-Bay

Jingle All The Way one of my favourites haven't seen it in years.

it was on sky 1 about 3 times last week . they had to show it 3 times to fill in their tv slots as they had nothing better to show later on in the week apart from some showing some uk lads banged up in a thai jail for smuggling drugs .

fred claus was on rte1 on saturday evening after the evening news . good film .

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Die Hard
    Trading Places
    Home Alone 1
    Bad Santa

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Die Hard
    Trading Places
    Home Alone 1
    Bad Santa

+1
    hard to believe that its 30 years old now . that particular scene with jamie lee curtis is a good scene allright .

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    fred claus was on rte1 on saturday evening after the evening news . good film .

I've avoided up until now as the reviews werent so great, but I watched it on saturday and I have to say I loved it. Although Vince Vaughan made the film, without him it might've been a bit naff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkyc

my three most favourite xmas movies in no particular areas are:
    1. The Santa Clause with Tim allen
    2. The Grinch
    3. Polar Express

Advertisement