Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching J-1 to another Visa?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I probably already know the answer to this, but here it goes:

I am out here in the US on the J-1 Visa ( 3 Months Summer WAT Program ) - I am really enjoying it out here, love the way of life, and i am in a great job, who had said if i managed to secure some sort of longer visa, they would offer me a permanent position.. however, for some unknown reason, they where not willing to sponsor me a visa.

My Visa expires September 15th and i am due to fly home around the 5th - i wanted to explore all options, while out here, to see if there is some way i could apply for another visa, a more permanent one, to work long-term.. as far as i know, id need to get a company to sponsor me, or someone of american citizenship to sponsor me, right? :(

Kinda at a loss as to what to do, it's either explore all my options, or leave in September as originally planned....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The likely reason your company won't sponsor you is that it'd cost them $5000+ for a proper work visa. Plus the usual one, H1B, is full for the year so you'd need to apply in April 2014 to start work in October 2014.

There is the year long J1, but the rules are different... there are several threads about it on here, have a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

silja wrote: »
    The likely reason your company won't sponsor you is that it'd cost them $5000+ for a proper work visa. Plus the usual one, H1B, is full for the year so you'd need to apply in April 2014 to start work in October 2014.

There is the year long J1, but the rules are different... there are several threads about it on here, have a look around.

Thanks for the info! - makes sense, suppose they wouldn't want to spend that much on an un skilled worker..

I already asked about the year long J-1, but i was told as i am already on the 3 month J-1 there is nothing i can do about it now, and i would need to have my degree finished to do that..

i have been applying for the diversity visa, but it's a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I already asked about the year long J-1, but i was told as i am already on the 3 month J-1 there is nothing i can do about it now, and i would need to have my degree finished to do that..

If you don't have a degree and minimal experience, you'll have great difficulty getting any visa. I would advise to finish your degree and head back on a 1 year visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

lil_lisa wrote: »
    If you don't have a degree and minimal experience, you'll have great difficulty getting any visa. I would advise to finish your degree and head back on a 1 year visa.

I have come to the conclusion, that its the best option for me, return to Ireland.. get my degree.. and take it from there.

Advertisement