Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish MFL (QTS) Teacher in Kent Query

Options
  • 27-07-2013 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello Guys,

I am just looking for some good advice really. I am moving to a school in Kent, around an hour Southeast via train from London. I am going with an agency who got me the job for the full teaching year. I was able to negotiate my MPS salary to something close, but still short of the Irish equivalent. I do not have any job offers or prospects here in Ireland.

I was lucky to work in an Irish-medium school and another school for the full year after completing my PDE, and to do my NQT year. I am just scared for the difference the UK education will bring. People say that the UK students are more difficult to manage, and discipline is much more of an issue. This is an issue that I am still developing, and I am apprehensive of how the students will view an Irish teacher. I suppose that I'll have to be tough (per situation or class). I try not reading to much information on Kent school, as it reports that agencies recruit Irish teachers because UK teachers don't want to work in those schools or that we are unprepared for the realities of the area/students.

People say that using agencies are not the best. But, it'll all I have at the moment. Lucky, my friend was with an agency for a year (coming from the same PDE course, different discipline) and was able to get a contract with the school themselves.

I have so many questions and nervous concerns. I hope anyone with experience teaching in Kent or with agencies can offer useful advice or information. The agency that I am with is called Timeplan and thus far, are very helpful and nice. I won't mention the school that I am going to on this forum, but it's changed head leadership a few times and ofsted reports are only recently favourable.

I am just viewing the year as very good teaching experience for the future. What are the major differences between the Irish-based and the Uk-based classroom setting. I am trying to do my homework to be prepared, or at the very least, avoid the education-culture-shock.

How did you find living in the UK with rents and securing a room, work, national insurance number, finding new friends, teaching the students, discipline issues and dealing with agencies, and finally moving on with your experience thereafter.

I shall be leaving my Irish car here, as it costs too much to bring it over etc., and not sure about getting a car and insurance over there. I got a quote and it was like way high, e.g. 1200 british pounds in comparison to the 350 Euro that I pay here. I shall miss driving, like for going to work easily, as for all I know, the school may be in a small village or something like Emerdale! Does the Irish No Claims Bonus (NCB) transfer to the UK? I was told that the NCB will expire in 2 years in Ireland if I don't use it.

I probably have a million more questions, as excited and nervous to go. Thank you for reading, and/or commenting.

XXXXXXX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

GDD84 wrote: »
    Hello Guys,

I am just looking for some good advice really. I am moving to a school in Kent, around an hour Southeast via train from London. I am going with an agency who got me the job for the full teaching year. I was able to negotiate my MPS salary to something close, but still short of the Irish equivalent. I do not have any job offers or prospects here in Ireland.

I was lucky to work in an Irish-medium school and another school for the full year after completing my PDE, and to do my NQT year. I am just scared for the difference the UK education will bring. People say that the UK students are more difficult to manage, and discipline is much more of an issue. This is an issue that I am still developing, and I am apprehensive of how the students will view an Irish teacher. I suppose that I'll have to be tough (per situation or class). I try not reading to much information on Kent school, as it reports that agencies recruit Irish teachers because UK teachers don't want to work in those schools or that we are unprepared for the realities of the area/students.

People say that using agencies are not the best. But, it'll all I have at the moment. Lucky, my friend was with an agency for a year (coming from the same PDE course, different discipline) and was able to get a contract with the school themselves.

I have so many questions and nervous concerns. I hope anyone with experience teaching in Kent or with agencies can offer useful advice or information. The agency that I am with is called Timeplan and thus far, are very helpful and nice. I won't mention the school that I am going to on this forum, but it's changed head leadership a few times and ofsted reports are only recently favourable.

I am just viewing the year as very good teaching experience for the future. What are the major differences between the Irish-based and the Uk-based classroom setting. I am trying to do my homework to be prepared, or at the very least, avoid the education-culture-shock.

How did you find living in the UK with rents and securing a room, work, national insurance number, finding new friends, teaching the students, discipline issues and dealing with agencies, and finally moving on with your experience thereafter.

I shall be leaving my Irish car here, as it costs too much to bring it over etc., and not sure about getting a car and insurance over there. I got a quote and it was like way high, e.g. 1200 british pounds in comparison to the 350 Euro that I pay here. I shall miss driving, like for going to work easily, as for all I know, the school may be in a small village or something like Emerdale! Does the Irish No Claims Bonus (NCB) transfer to the UK? I was told that the NCB will expire in 2 years in Ireland if I don't use it.

I probably have a million more questions, as excited and nervous to go. Thank you for reading, and/or commenting.

XXXXXXX

You will find that there are a lot of Irish teachers that have made the switch over to teaching in England. One of the biggest challenges that is different to here is the amount of paperwork/marking that is required. It can be a bit hectic at times, but if you have already completed an NQT year, you should have a rough idea of marking etc.

I have completed a year teaching over in England, and have found that the discipline was no major problem. I had taught in a school in Dublin prior to that, and found it more difficult. The school should have strict procedures in place for discipline issues, just make sure to follow these guides and apply them fairly, and the students will respect you.

I have found that being Irish and having the accent has helped me in the classroom, you are new and different to what is the norm for them.

I went through an agency too, but was lucky to get offered a contract from the school for a permanent position, so I can't really comment on how getting paid through an agency will work.

I am not a language teacher, but as regards to preparing for your lessons; try and find out which exam board you will be following. What if, any exam classes you will be teaching etc. The TES website is excellent for resources and discussion forums.

Moving over to England will take some getting used to (or it has for me). The transport is excellent, so you should be well able to survive without a car initially. More info on a national insurance number is here.

If you have any more specific questions or need advice on anything, ask away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GDD84

Thank you Dave0301 for your reply. How did you find living over there? Once I find suitable accommodation, everything should be ok, pending I need a car or not (as I do like being able to drive to work/gym/anywhere I guess but it's so expensive). i shall be going to Kent so hopefully it's a built up area.

Do non-british persons have to to provide an expensive deposit to rent a room, or is it the same as british persons? Does one require renting references etc., obviously I won't have anything.

The agency (that I'm with) are helping to set up a bank account etc., mot likely a national insurance number too, or do I do this myself when I get an address in the UK? I just want to make sure that I don't spend too much time on emergency tax.

How did you assimilate successful? I am going to look for any activities to find new friends etc. I find with teaching that Monday-to-Friday is normally all work/me time, so just looking into activities on the weekend, meeting new dudes.

I'm not getting excited about going and I know that I'll have to be tough (in the classroom and outside).

May I ask, why did you return home?

Do you know where about in Kent you will be yet?

I did not have to provide any more of a deposit than my other housemates. You will be required to complete reference checks when renting. They will be used to having non British people filling them out. Just fill it all out, and they will usually need a reference from your employer as well.

The agency should take care of the NI number for you. Mine didn't, and I had to get it myself but it is very easy to do. I was on emergency tax for a few months but it was a tiny amount in the end.

You should be able to find lots to do at the weekends. There will be lots of clubs and things that you can join depending on your hobbies. It can take some getting used to at first, but try and keep busy. You may find a lot of the other teachers in the school could be in similar positions to yourself.

I will be teaching over in England again this year, I am actually flying back over today to sort out my new apartment.

Yes, I shall be in a school in Chatham. I am flying over a week before to try and find a room or share in the area. then back to bring over luggage etc. I am just looking for a nice gym in the area, well walking distance as it'll be strange not having a car anymore. Where will you be teaching?

I have sent this email to the teaching agency for reply. Some of this information may ring a bell with your own queries when you started???

Hello XXXXX,

I have a number of questions, on which you may shed some light. These questions are borne from curiosity and a need to refine my position as a OTT Teacher in the UK . I highlight two parts of this email, NB 1 * and NB 2 * that are letters that I request to my current Irish address. Can you provide an ETA when I may receive them?

I am just reading up on UK conditions. The Contract for Services states that Timeplan is not my employer. Does that mean that the school or LA is my employer, ultimately, I am an employee of whom? What employment rights does one have as an agency employee (albeit the contract for services states that I am not an employee). What are Timeplan's Internal Standards regarding employment law?

Section 2.2 of the Contract for Services, it states 'If Timeplan ceases to be your employer', does that mean that I am an employee of Timeplan. Section 3.4 of the Contract for Services states that no payment shall be made in respect to illnesses except that under statutory obligations. Does this refer to the SSP plan?

Does Timeplan have an Employer Registration Number to give to the Job Centre for sorting out emergency tax? Does Timeplan, as an employer, pay the NIC contribution towards the national insurance account of the employee, for contributions towards state services? Are salary slips sent to you electronically or posted to one's UK address, can one request pay slips to be sent to one's Uk address for reconciling tax affairs?

Regarding a National Insurance number, can I approach a Job centre once I get a UK address, or do you do it during induction? How does does it normally take for tax credits etc to be properly adjusted (just for budget forecasting)?

Regarding the school, what will my start date be/my employment start date (3rd September)? (the school calendar start date or are there preparation days prior to the term starting? I am just waiting on documents, plans and further information from XXXXX at the school. Health and Safety and Child Protection is paramount in Ireland, as in the UK. As an employee/non-employee of Timeplan, what insurance policy is in place regarding this issue?? Due to the wording of the Contract of Services, I am unsure my position as a teacher in the school. May you advise

NB 1* I look forward to receiving a posted, signed and dated (with contact details) Timeplan letter that I can use to show potential landlords or other services for setting up stuff (maybe a bank account as i shall be in the UK soon to show my employment status, signed and dated (with contact details), when in the UK (mid August), and serve as official record of my contract of employment with Timeplan and the school.

NB 2* May I also request a written statement, posted, signed and dated (with contact details), confirming the conditions of my employment.?

Regards,
    XXXXXX

Did you hear back regarding your letter?

I can't really help there as I was dealing with the school directly.

I think you will find that a lot of towns around here will have everything you need, compared to towns back home. If you can get to work via train it will allow you a lot more options regarding where to live.

• Advertisement

Hi Dave, yes, the agency who pays you will send you out a contract. I do not know if they are obliged to or is it because I'm being quite technical with them. I found a place near a train station for easy access to London whenever I want, and to the bus stop. School is minutes away then. Area and house not the best but the area seems to be of the same quality everywhere.

Are you over in London. Message me to inbox and let me know about you dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catgreenapple

Hi GDD84,

I Haven't read through all the messages here - just your first one. I'm just back from Canterbury where I taught in a school for 2 years. I also completed my PGCE there and worked in some very disadvantaged schools. I think you will be absolutely fine. I actually found it an advantage being Irish over there as a lot of the pupils in the schools that I taught in were also not from England. It immediately gives you some common ground and deeper understanding for their worries/anxieties about cultural differences etc.

I've just moved back to Ireland and am not even getting a look in at jobs as I haven't the SCG done yet. It's hard not to get frustrated here when all you want is to do your job, and do it well.

You will get loads of opportunity for extra training (CPD) over there and may have the opportunity to take up subject co-ordination or even become a year-head. In sum, make the most of it. Experience with difficult behaviour is the only way you'll learn how to control a class really well...and it will stand you in great stead for the future!

The very best of luck with the job! I wish I was going in to teach today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I taught very briefly in Kent last year. I was quiet isolated and got very lonely. I lived with a couple which I wouldn't recommend. It's prob best if you live with a couple more people.

Try keep busy, once you start teaching you'll have lots to do. Plan a couple of trips home or get friends to visit for a couple of weeks to give you something to look forward to.

As for being Irish, most of the English department I worked with were Irish! Schools are well used to us coming over!

Advertisement