Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Alternator Repairs

Options
  • 27-07-2013 3:33am

I was doing this anyway so I thought I'd document it in case anyone was interested.
    Most of the time in my experience when alternators go bad it's just the brushes and or the regulator. So they're handy spares to have.

Not all alternators have removable regulators so might want to check.

Straightforward enough to get them out when you know what you're looking for.

Alternator with regulator.JPG
    Regulator removed.JPG

OEM Regulator with pre-fitted brushes: €90
    OEM brush set: €12.50

Regulators.JPG

You can get the old brushes out with brute force and ignorance, a side cutters and soldering iron, or a drill with grinder bit followed by metal bit. I used all of the above and prefer the drill and grinder method. The grinder bit is dead handy for cleaning electrical contacts too.

New and old brushes.JPG

I couldn't figure out what these things were for until after I finished soldering and lost one. They're wire crimps, that are to be fed into the drill hole and crimp the brush wire that travels through them against the spring for later soldering.

These things.JPG

Comments

Once you have the old brushes out it's a simple matter of threading the new brushes through the spring, through the drill hole in the regulator, through the crimp connector. Crimp, solder, cut excess wire, repeat for second brush.

Drill Holes.JPG
    Solder prep.JPG
    New and old regulators.JPG

Install is the reverse of removal.

Charge up the starter battery on mains charger (save the engine). Disconnect mains charger. Start engine and run for 30mins to observe regulator behaves as it should.

Magic Number.JPG

Ha! I never noticed my blower switch is upside-down before.

Advertisement