Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohernabreena Reservoir closure

Options
  • 27-07-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭

I was out for a jog this morning which normally takes me through Bohernabreena Reservoir, 3 Dublin City workers where there closing up the main entrance for the "foreseeable future" due to anti social behaviour which has increased and is probably making the residents lives unbearable. Just in case anyone is thinking of going for a jog or walk through the area....I'm not sure if the entrance to the top lake is closed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I know the area very well, some of the most beautiful landscape in Dublin. Really tragic news, you can't blame them for taking this action though. It's the same in the mountains either side of the valley. Scumbags from the suburbs to he north of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Just back from there...got all the way to the gate and could have cried when I saw the sign. Will have to change my route for a bit. Such a shame but can't blame them if its anti social behaviour at the centre of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whats been going on in the area?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hot summers and local louts sums it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Shabser

I too went out for my usual morning run and had to turn back at the gate. Once again the minority who can't behave themselves have ruined things for the rest of us. We have lost our access to our local countryside because of a few scumbags. I can only imagine what they've been up to and what the people who live there have had to put up with. I loved my early morning peace and quiet by the lake, and the red squirrels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

What a shame. Back in April 2005 I place my first geocache and have brought many people there, most of whom had never been there and had nice things to say about the place. Guess I now need to disable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I saw a bunch of teenagers being moved on by Gardai a couple months ago. Swimming was the problem from what I could tell, I didn't see any drinking. There was about 30 or 40 teenagers. The amount of swimming accidents so far this summer the Council probably don't want to take any risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Its back open now. In case anyone is still on a changed route and is unaware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Could anyone gmaps link me to where one parks to go for a walk around the Reservoir? Was up there last Summer and couldn't find any obvious entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Tragedy wrote: »
    Could anyone gmaps link me to where one parks to go for a walk around the Reservoir? Was up there last Summer and couldn't find any obvious entrance.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.258954,-6.369068&spn=0.003485,0.010568&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.258954,-6.369068&panoid=kniEz9TUduY1t9FiydYigA&cbp=12,167.44,,0,4.11

https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.226083,-6.34998&spn=0.000872,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.226027,-6.350278&panoid=pOfJgnMWhHROwZpQ1NlbCA&cbp=12,4.74,,0,9.69

The first one above is the lower entrance, which I never really used to use as you have to walk quite a bit before you get in on the reservoir proper.

The second one I used to use all the time but a good number of years ago the gate was locked and the carpark closed off - travellers had settled into the carpark off to one side - so I think it was an attempt to keep them out. However, Ive never seen it open since then (I havent been up in a while now), so you have to park along the side of the road if you want to go in that way - but its a much nicer direct access imo. You can get to upper from lower or vice versa anyway.

I'm open to correction, but I believe that the second link is private property, with a right of access across it. Hence no parking. I can't see anywhere to park up that end either as the road is all double yellow lines on both sides (and not wide enough to park on and still allow cars to pass)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but I believe that the second link is private property, with a right of access across it. Hence no parking. I can't see anywhere to park up that end either as the road is all double yellow lines on both sides (and not wide enough to park on and still allow cars to pass)?

Perhaps it is, it used to be open for parking. I haven't been up there in a while and can't remember the situ re double yellow lines from then but it used to be possible to park on the left hand side tight to the fence and there was room for cars to pass. It has been at least a couple of years since I've been up there though, things may well have changed. I can't remember if people used to just park on the double yellows or if they weren't there then.

Advertisement