Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What equipment we use and why?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

There seems to be a lot of threads about asking for advice and recommendations about equipment and set ups, so I thought it would be interesting to see what gear people are currently using and why?

Shore, boat, river or lake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

For shore I've had a clear out and narrowed everything down to three rods.

I use a century tip tornado supermatch for my heavy fishing. It's got great backbone but the tip is still sensitive enough to register delicate bites and can cast delicate baits far without ripping them apart.

For light mobile fishing I'm using a century tip tornado low diameter. This is a steely rod that is comfortable enough to hold for hours. It's equally good with light or heavy fish and doesn't kill the fight.

For match fishing I generally use my conoflex foo fighter. Long, slim and sensitive it's excellent for use on the clean east coast beaches. I usually fish very light lines with this, almost continental style.

All the above are paired with Abu Garcia 6500 multipliers. I find it handy to have multiple reels for a quick changeover if needed.

I house all the above in a Shakespeare box and to be honest wouldn't be without it. A bit bulky but great to keep everyhing in one spot without mess all over the place.

For spinning and light fishing, river or sea I use a daiwa whisker and a shimano bait runner fixed spool. I've found this rod to be good from everything from salmon on the Moy to small trout on the Nore. I use braid with this setup as you can feel every little pluck or knock on the lure.

That's about it for my shore angling, I'll stick up details of my fly gear later.

Advertisement