Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going organic

• 27-07-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

I just have a quick question that I hope can be answered so here goes ...
    I currently have a crop of tomatoes growing at the back I have used fish blood and bone meal as surface dressing. can I use anything else to supplement this that's also organic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

There are a whole range of organic feeds on the market to buy. Osmo do great stuff.
    Growing comfrey as a fertiliser is a great idea. It is high in potash so perfect for stuff like tomatoes. You can use the leaves as a mulch, add them to your compost heap or make comfrey tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

that's good! !I also have chicken manure in the shed could I spread it around the beds and water in for a boost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Absolutely, but go easy, it's strong stuff apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭OldRio

Careful of the chicken manure. Check ph value.
    I put some down early on in the year on a raised bed and forgot to check the ph.
    A lot of replanting was done:D

Comfrey is your friend. Make a few batches and don't be frightened to use a lot. It grows back fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

ok will give it a bash!!I have also heard about using ground eggshell too.though the smell is awful! !thanks for the helpful advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement