Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave Poached Egg

Options
  • 27-07-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd share a tip that I learnt recently for easily doing poached eggs in the microwave:

Half fill a mug with boiling water
    Add a dash of vinegar (any type will do)
    Crack egg into the cup
    Place piece of kitchen roll on top of cup (in case egg explodes, has happened to me about twice)
    Into the microwave on medium - high for 30sec - 1min30 depending on how good the microwave is

and voila poached egg!

I've learnt to be able to time it so the egg comes out just the way I like it, and I've found sometimes halfway through you might need to turn the egg upside down in the cup so the underside cooks through

Enjoy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Good tip Jendafer.

It will be a lot quicker and there will be a lot less cleaning up than the traditional way.

I think I'll try that for breakfast tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I had a perfectly cooked poached egg this morning in one minute. I think I'll be having poached eggs for breakfast for the rest of the week now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Just be careful! Was watching that programme on channel 4 recently - 24 hours in A and E and there was a girl on it taken in by ambulance. She was making a poached egg in the microwave and it exploded in her face, she had a few nasty burns

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Yay glad it worked out for you!

Also - thanks Murdy for the headsup, I think people need to be aware of these risks when cooking with microwaves. I had those campbells meatballs explode in my face when I was a teenager, narrowly missed my eye! Thankfully I escaped with only a small blister for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've done this before, but it always called for the yolk to be pierced which I hate. I tried it today, without the vinegar, and got a perfectly fine poached egg to put on top of my salad. The yolk was soft, but not runny. I don't know if it's even possible to get a runny poached egg from the microwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I also do "fried" eggs in the microwave.

Simply break the egg into a regular bowl, cover with kitchen roll (very important, see above on exploding eggs). A minute or so later, microwave-fried egg.

Be careful not to overdo it as it will explode and destroy the insides of your microwave. Not fun to clean, as I have found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Slight aside - I dont know if anyone has been watching the Raymond Blanc show recently. It seems that the key to the perfect poached egg is really just to buy them as fresh as you possibly can. He broke out a fresh one and then a not so fresh one onto a dish and difference is really visible in the way that the egg white holds itself together.

The only problem is where to get such fresh eggs - unless you keep your own hens!

Advertisement