Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Slow to Return Deposit

Options
  • 27-07-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

So I moved out of my last apartment just over a week ago and I scrubbed the place clean. I literally spent 4 hrs cleaning and I left that apartment looking like it was professionally cleaned. I did this as I had a very strong feeling that the landlord would stall returning my deposit as I got the feeling over the few yrs that I was there that he had no money. I wanted to ensure there was no reason to delay getting my money back.

So I contacted him a few days ago and left him a voicemail saying can you please return the deposit asap as I've had to pay a deposit on a new apartment and I'm kinda stuck for money. So he texted me yesterday saying that he'll be out of the country for the next two weeks and will return the deposit when he gets back !!! So I'm pretty p-ed off about this so I replied saying that I was out of pocket having paid the new deposit and I'm gonna be in a bad way money wise and pls return the money asap upon return.

But is this acceptable? has this happened to any of you guys before?
    I'm genuinely terrified that he won't give it back to me and this is why I ddin't reply with an angry text back (he always only texts too, cowardly fecker). I'm gonna be so worried for the next 2 weeks until I get that money. He must be broke. I wanted to stay on in the apartment but he said no so I've no idea whats happening there.

Advice pls :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ask him to transfer it using Internet banking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

A landlord must "return or repay promptly any deposit paid by the tenant to the landlord". However, there is no definition in the RTA 2004 as to how long "promptly" is.

Advise him immediately (initially by phone/text or email and follow that up with a written letter, keep a copy) that you are making a claim with the PRTB for the unjustifiable retention of the deposit money plus damages for inconvenience, stress and hardship for loss of use of those monies.

IMHO, if he goes away on holidays without returning the deposit he is unjustifiably retaining it. He should sort this out before he goes.

If you don't get immediate action from the landlord, make the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Best bet is that the deposit is spent, and he is waiting for the next tenant to give him theirs so he can give it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

odds_on wrote: »
    A landlord must "return or repay promptly any deposit paid by the tenant to the landlord". However, there is no definition in the RTA 2004 as to how long "promptly" is.

Advise him immediately (initially by phone/text or email and follow that up with a written letter, keep a copy) that you are making a claim with the PRTB for the unjustifiable retention of the deposit money plus damages for inconvenience, stress and hardship for loss of use of those monies.

IMHO, if he goes away on holidays without returning the deposit he is unjustifiably retaining it. He should sort this out before he goes.

If you don't get immediate action from the landlord, make the claim.

Can you tell me what the deal is with the PRTB as he only registered me as his tenant very recently so I assumed it must have been more beneficial for him as a landlord to have done this?

I'm actually totally strapped for cash cos of the tosser. I've to put off paying a few things and I'll end up paying more for them. Its €700 which is so much money. I'm properly p-ed off but at the same time I'm nervous of pissing him off and getting nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ellen Rose

As advised above contact the tenancy board immediately, all correspondence with landlord should be in writing, the tenancy board will advise you accordingly, it's irrelevant to you & your situation when he registered your tenancy.
    A landlord can only withhold a deposit for legit reasons, o/s rent, damage to property, o/s bills, etc
    Good luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement