Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge gas not igniting/staying on

Options
  • 27-07-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

We are getting used to our new [to us] camper that we bought 4 weeks ago. The fridge initially lit OK but now we just get a puff of flame and it goes out.
    If we light it from outside then the flame stays on and all is well.
    It is an older Electrolux with a piezo igniter.
    Summary: 1. have gas 2. fridge works OK once gas is lit 3. piezo lights the gas 4. yes we are holding the gas tap in for 10" until the safety t/c kicks in.
    Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

JonMac wrote: »
    We are getting used to our new [to us] camper that we bought 4 weeks ago. The fridge initially lit OK but now we just get a puff of flame and it goes out.
    If we light it from outside then the flame stays on and all is well.
    It is an older Electrolux with a piezo igniter.
    Summary: 1. have gas 2. fridge works OK once gas is lit 3. piezo lights the gas 4. yes we are holding the gas tap in for 10" until the safety t/c kicks in.
    Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
    When was it last serviced?

Everything is the same regardless of whether the igniter lights it or you do. Same burner, same thermocouple , same gubbins in the flame path. It shouldn't make any difference... Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Any ideas? I believe the dealer did a service recently before we collected it.

It is now working properly. I ran the flame for a few hours, igniting from outside with a BBQ lighter, and afterwards we did a run of 200km.
    Maybe a piece of soot in the way of the spark?

A carbonised electrode is common. As are dead ones.

• Advertisement

John , did you run it while you were driving at any stage? I don't understand how manual vs spark lighting would make a difference , as its the same thermocouple. It could well have been some soot or carbon you dislocated.

I was told to never use gas for the fridge while driving. It was on for about 2 hours, subsequently we went on a trip but didn't use the gas.
    When I checked the igniter when we got home all was well.

Advertisement