Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Games keep crashing

Options
  • 27-07-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

I upgraded a while ago and about two weeks after I've been having issues with games crashing. They freeze for 5-10 seconds then will flash then come back on and repeat this process two or three times. Spec Ops, Mortal Kombat, Metro 2033 all in the last week have done this. Most of the time it will continue but today it crashed and ended the application.

Anyone ever have this problem. Could it be just one game that's causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What did you upgrade ? What is your computers Specs, Operating System ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I upgraded the motherboard, cpu and ram. The os didn't need reinstalling.

AMD Radeon Sapphire HD7750
    AMD FX 4300
    4 GB DDR3
    ASUS M5A78L-MLE
    CORSAIR CX500

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Marsden wrote: »
    I upgraded the motherboard, cpu and ram. The os didn't need reinstalling.

AMD Radeon Sapphire HD7750
    AMD FX 4300
    4 GB DDR3
    ASUS M5A78L-MLE
    CORSAIR CX500

Did you clean out old drivers?

Not manually but I thought they were removed and replaced when the new drivers were installed. I checked them in device manager and it says they're all up to date.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's may still be remnants of the old code floating about.

If you're going to pretty much update all the hardware I'm surprised that the machine even booted without a clean install.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

5uspect wrote: »
    If you're going to pretty much update all the hardware I'm surprised that the machine even booted without a clean install.

Yeah, also isn't Windows supposed to detect significant hardware changes and expect you to re-activate again ?
    Marsden wrote:
    They freeze for 5-10 seconds then will flash then come back on and repeat this process two or three times.

This sounds like a graphics driver issue.

I'd check for the latest graphics drivers first.
    Then, the latest games patches for each game you have trouble with.

Also, possibly the power supply is underpowered ?
    Some graphics cards have an extra power cable for extra juice, maybe check that that is properly connected too.

Yeah, also isn't Windows supposed to detect significant hardware changes and expect you to re-activate again ?

I thought this myself and was surprised when it didn't need a fresh install.
    This sounds like a graphics driver issue.

I'd check for the latest graphics drivers first.
    Then, the latest games patches for each game you have trouble with.

Graphics drivers are up to date and it's happened on some games that didn't have a problem before.
    Also, possibly the power supply is underpowered ?
    Some graphics cards have an extra power cable for extra juice, maybe check that that is properly connected too.

The HD7750 doesn't come with an extra power cable and is a fairly light powered card but I suppose that ramps up when extra power is needed for more graphic intensive area's of a game. But I think Mortal Kombat isn't the toughest thing to run for most cards.

I would of thought the 500W was more than capable of supplying my system.

Just a thought but I have one stick of 4GB ram on a dual channel board, anyone think this could have adverse effects on the system?

5uspect wrote: »
    There's may still be remnants of the old code floating about.
    I had an old NVIDIA card that I replaced in December and I can't uninstall all the crap its left in my system. When I click uninstall/change in the control panel it does nothing. I even downloaded software that specifically detects and removes any old nvidia drivers/software on a system and it didn't remove/detect anything.

When I first put the new system together I was getting a few strange lines flowing through the screen (happened maybe 4 times over the space of a week) but this has since disappeared.

This hadn't happened when I replaced my old GPU in December but when I updated the motherboard and CPU this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I even downloaded software that specifically detects and removes any old nvidia drivers/software on a system and it didn't remove/detect anything.

Was that Driver Sweeper or something else?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Use Driver Sweeper after using the Nvidia uninstaller. Make sure to also remove PhysX as well. Only re-install the latest WHQL driver, not the betas

Nick

• Advertisement

It wasn't but I had used driver sweeper too.

yoyo wrote: »
    Use Driver Sweeper after using the Nvidia uninstaller. Make sure to also remove PhysX as well. Only re-install the latest WHQL driver, not the betas

Nick
    Cheers Nick I'll give that a go today.

The old system worked fine with the new card but when I changed the motherboard and CPU that's when the problem started. Would this not be a sign that it's something else causing it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cheers Nick I'll give that a go today.

The old system worked fine with the new card but when I changed the motherboard and CPU that's when the problem started. Would this not be a sign that it's something else causing it?

Could well be a driver issue also, I would certainly completely remove all drivers and start again :) . I notice you added an ATI card, so it would be the latest stable ATI Radeon drivers you need to install! (Use driver sweeper to also remove all ATI drivers as well before re-installing)

Nick

Advertisement