Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breeding

• 27-07-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I was wondering if a male shih tzu would regonise his own puppies and what is the most ideal age to start breeding :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why do you want to breed it and what shows have you won with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Was this thread from the same poster?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056888923
    Op, why are you in such a hurry to produce a litter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

OP, based on your last thread, the complete and utter lack of knowledge you had on sourcing a puppy in the first place, and the fact that you were very interested in sourcing a cheap puppy... I don't think anyone here will be willing to advise you on breeding your dog without more information to suggest you have come forward since your last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭grumpig

Im not in a hurry. I never mentioned I was hoping to start breding soon or a certain date I hope you dont get me wrong But yes I do lack knowledge about these things but theres no harm in learning more about it because I dont know much. Im sure everyone learns more through curiosity and I can be sure not everyone gains knowledge about certain things in a click. Is there a harm in me learning more about my own pet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

grumpig wrote: »
    Im not in a hurry. I never mentioned I was hoping to start breding soon or a certain date I hope you dont get me wrong But yes I do lack knowledge about these things but theres no harm in learning more about it because I dont know much. Im sure everyone learns more through curiosity and I can be sure not everyone gains knowledge about certain things in a click. Is there a harm in me learning more about my own pet?

But without answering Nody's question, we can only assume that you are going to make another rash decision.

Unless you have both the mother and father of the litter, it is unlikely that you will have to worry about whether or not the father will recongise the litter as his, he probably won't be anywhere near them. Unless you were to take a pup from the litter to keep, in which case I daresay it would be no different than introducing any other puppy to an adult dog.

I cannot advise on an ideal age to breed as I have never bred a dog. But if your dog has not won any shows or competitions/trials and is male, there is almost no chance of you coming across someone with a bitch who is willing to use him as a stud, ergo you will likely not be breeding him. If you actually have a bitch, you might find it a bit easier, but the same issue would go for no prizes or at least an extensive history in the bloodlines of winning when breeding the bitch or selecting a stud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

1.You don't know much about dogs.
    2.You are interested in breeding.

If you don't see why those two pieces of information combined ring alarm bells for some of us, you are not paying attention.

1.You don't know much about dogs.
    2.You are interested in breeding.

If you don't see why those two pieces of information combined ring alarm bells for some of us, you are not paying attention.

From my 2nd reply i clearly am paying attention. I didnt know every time I asked a question in a thread I had to state all my history before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Just curious, for what reason do you want to breed from your dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I reckon majority of people here wouldn't condone to an amateur 'breeder' -- i.e. people that contribute a lot to UNWANTED dogs...

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I reckon majority of people here wouldn't condone to an amateur 'breeder' -- i.e. people that contribute a lot to UNWANTED dogs...

I am a an amateur 'breeder'? Well that was quick but again without learning bit by bit no one will learn anything . For example just as every childhood has an experience of
    trying to learn how to cycle but without your parents or anyone teaching u how no ones going to learn how to learn to ride a bike properly or even if you do how many reckless mistakes will it take you so you learn the proper way. I don't think if someone that has heard someone's advice will need to take these reckless mistakes. But if people on this site would rather let people on with reckless mistakes rather than advice to peoples intrestes fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

But why are you looking to breed?

andreac wrote: »
    But why are you looking to breed?

I'm not looking to breed or hoping to breed soon I have already mentioned that I am just curious as to how this works.

I am a an amateur 'breeder'? Well that was quick but again without learning bit by bit no one will learn anything . For example just as every childhood has an experience of
    trying to learn how to cycle but without your parents or anyone teaching u how no ones going to learn how to learn to ride a bike properly or even if you do how many reckless mistakes will it take you so you learn the proper way. I don't think if someone that has heard someone's advice will need to take these reckless mistakes. But if people on this site would rather let people on with reckless mistakes rather than advice to peoples intrestes fine.

When you start to compare learning something with an inanimate object to a living thing(s), and potentially unwanted ones at that...

Perfect reason why people hate puppy mills - they just see them as 'things' for profit, and couldn't care less for them where they end up past the 'cute' stage.

I strongly suggest you sit down with a piece of paper and start listing out the reasons behind why you want to get into breeding, if you are, to begin with - it's not just a simple matter of A+B=c -> $$$ . There are countless unwanted dogs as it is, due to ill-repute breeders who don't give a damn.

Thank you but I'm only interested in basics and as I said I'm not gonna be breeding soon or I actually want to breed but I'm purely just intrested about it.I understand my example is different from living things but it is just an example of learning things.but I never thought about having an unwanted puppy.

When I seriously want to start it obviously I will have a serious throught about it.

Please don't get me wrong and make me repeat as I have constantly I do not plan on breeding now or anytime soon. I am just purely interested In it as anyone else that love and are interested in their pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Okay, here it is then.

If you want to breed your dog, first of all he needs to be shown in IKC dog shows and win at least some prizes to prove he is a good example of the breed. If he has proven himself in the ring, he should then undergo breed specific genetic healthtesting to ensure the risk of him passing on a hereditary disease is minimal. These tests need to be done first. He must be IKC registered, fully vaccinated and up to date. He should be at least 18months old before being bred. He should only be paired with a bitch who has all of the same and a bitch who compliments him- any weaknesses he has should be her strengths and vice versa. There should be interest in pups (or a waiting list even better) before the dogs are even introduced to each other to ensure there will be homes for the resulting pups. The owner of the bitch must have it in writing that he will take back any pups no matter what if any issues arise (not really up to you OP but I wouldn't even consider letting my dog breed with a bitch if the owner wasn't going to be responsible).

If there is any one of these things that can't or won't be complied with, then he should not be bred. Also, be aware that breeding your dog may change his personality. He may start showing more interest in females and become unmanageable if there is ever a bitch in heat in the area.

Plenty of resources with just a simple Google™ for that, e.g.: !

Link

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm not looking to breed or hoping to breed soon I have already mentioned that I am just curious as to how this works.

1) Your dog will need to be tested for any afflictions or diseases inherent in the breed.
    2) Your dog will only be desirable as a stud if he has passed these tests, and also has partaken in, and done very well in, the show circuit.
    3) Your dog will need to be IKC registered.
    4) People who want to use an untested, unshown dog as stud for their bitch are often BYBs only out for money
    5) I believe that around 3 years is considered a good age to breed.
    6) You should genuinely consider why you want to breed. Unless it is for the betterment of the breed you really shouldn't do it. Wanting him to 'get his end away' because 'it'd be cruel not to' is never a reason to do it* - dogs don't think like us, and it would actually be much kinder just to neuter him. Similarly 'for money' is not a valid reason. If it's because you think he's lovely and you want a puppy just like him do everyone a favour and get another puppy from a pound; give a homeless pup a chance at a good life.

*I'm not saying that that's why you want to breed, just that it's a reason I've heard people give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If you are asking if a male dog will recognise his puppies because you don't want inbreeding then the answer is no- a male dog WILL mate with his daughters given the chance, and that can cause health issues for the puppies.

Advertisement