Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPDIF Question

• 27-07-2013 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I'm after getting a new TV...Toshiba 40L1333.

I have an old Boston Acoustics subwoofer (with speakers) that I used to connect to my DVD player. This new TV has a SPDIF output on the back. Using the old cable, when I connect SPDIF out into the digital input on the sub, I get no audio through the sub or external speakers. If I plug the same cable into the SPDIF out on the UPC Horizon box, the sound comes out fine.

Does it seem like there's something dodgy with the output on the TV, or am I missing some obvious info about SPDIF?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

It could be a licencing issue, most TV's that have SPDIF do not passthrough Dolby Digital, DTS or Dolby TrueHD from HDMI to optical as the hardware they use does not include a licence from Dolby to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

That's great...thanks. I saw a similar suggestion on a US forum from some time ago but wasn't sure if it was right or not. Once I know that I haven't been sold a pup, I'm happy. Thanks again.

Advertisement