Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nas access stopped working?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a couple of Nas' and moved them and the router this morning to a different location. So they were powered on and off. I am using Windows 7 64bit ultimate. Nothing else has changed.

The PC can no longer access either of the NAS' but my laptop still can wirelessly and wired in.

I pulled out the lan cable and inserted a wireless device into my PC and that now lets me see them. But for some reason a wired connection no longer works from the PC!

Any ideas gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At a guess, PC and NAS are rocking the same IP. One of them would have a static IP configured in the range of IP's given out automatically by DHCP on the router. The period of time unplugged meant the leases previously given had all expired due to inactivity.

Wireless card can pick them up as its considered a new device and assigned a new IP, similar to other devices in the house.

Consider it similar to booking seats on a plane, with one passenger sitting in the seat reserved by someone else. There is going to be issues, but they are isolated to only those two devices.

Check your router to see where it starts assigning IP's (192.168.1.10-192.168.1.50, etc), should be in the LAN setup section of its admin page. Then check the config of your NAS and PC. Ideally you would want your NAS to have a fixed IP outside of the normal DHCP range. Your PC should be fine with a automatic configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks for taking the time to reply and I like the angle you took.

There are two Nas devices I can't access, both were auto allocated and IP and I have now changed that to static IPs outside of the DHCP range.

Unfortunately, that didn't work and also once I went to wireless that had stopped working.

I also then changed my PC to a static IP address itself and unfortunately that hasnt worked either for either wired or wireless connection.

ANY further advice/guidance would be much appreciated!

At a guess, PC and NAS are rocking the same IP. One of them would have a static IP configured in the range of IP's given out automatically by DHCP on the router. The period of time unplugged meant the leases previously given had all expired due to inactivity.

Wireless card can pick them up as its considered a new device and assigned a new IP, similar to other devices in the house.

Consider it similar to booking seats on a plane, with one passenger sitting in the seat reserved by someone else. There is going to be issues, but they are isolated to only those two devices.

Check your router to see where it starts assigning IP's (192.168.1.10-192.168.1.50, etc), should be in the LAN setup section of its admin page. Then check the config of your NAS and PC. Ideally you would want your NAS to have a fixed IP outside of the normal DHCP range. Your PC should be fine with a automatic configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

try switching back to dhcp and run
    ipconfig /release hit enter then
    ipconfig /renew hit enter

from the cmd box

try switching back to dhcp and run
    ipconfig /release hit enter then
    ipconfig /renew hit enter

from the cmd box

switch back just my PC to DHCP? or both the Nas's?

Thanks

redman wrote: »
    switch back just my PC to DHCP? or both the Nas's?

Thanks

Everthing. Let dhcp take care of it. See what hapoens

• Advertisement

Thanks just put the two nas back and the pc and did both commands above via CMD.
    tried via wired no difference :-( and then wireless and same ?

could it be anything to do with access rights somehow?

I do get error at start of release "no operation can be performed on wireless network connection 2 while media disconnected" and same message for bluetooth.
    and same messages on renew but then it scrolls up and gives me and ip address....

I can see both nas' through their drivers apps e.g. a readynas via "RAIDar" and the Buffalo via its "NasNavigator" but cant get into the shares

The laptop still has full access without problems.

by any chance are you using homeplugs to connect?
    scratch that, you can see them

by any chance are you using homeplugs to connect?

yes for the connection between the pc and router i am using homeplugs but after the problem intially I ran a straight cable and it made no difference and with wireless its stopped working too.

Bang goes that suggestion then :)

yes I ruled it out early and just reconnected directly and still the same. Wondering if permssions on this PC have changed somehow. I have my windows firewall off.

• Advertisement

Ok, last suggestion, have you tried switching everything off? Router pc laptop nas
    After a min or so switch the router back on then the other peripherals.
    Cross fingers

Ok, last suggestion, have you tried switching everything off? Router pc laptop nas
    After a min or so switch the router back on then the other peripherals.
    Cross fingers

Ok Skill Magill you helped me fix it so I am indebited to you.
    My mistake I reckon was leaving the powerplugs powered on and connected to router. Now that they are off all is working again! must be some clash in them !!

So THANK YOU very much

Sound

Ok, I just realised its back working wirelessly but not wired! I have the powerline plugs removed from sockets and a direct connection to the router and it won't see the two NAS' but it will see them by wireless?
    So original problem is there :-(

All help appreciated.

now its stopped working on wireless again...!!??

:(
    have you checked that local area connection on the pc isn't disabled.?
    Try disabling the wireless connection on the pc and see if it picks it up then.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
    right click disable wireless network connection

Can you ping either nas when your wired? If not do you have another cable you could try?

:(
    have you checked that local area connection on the pc isn't disabled.?
    Try disabling the wireless connection on the pc and see if it picks it up then.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
    right click disable wireless network connection

Can you ping either nas when your wired? If not do you have another cable you could try?

Thanks for coming back to me on this....
    I go into "network and sharing" in the control panel...view my active connections it only shows connections as "local area connection"

On the left hand side of that screen is change adapter settings, click that

thanks nothing there but lan and bluetooth, i have a removeable wireless stick for the pc which I have unplugged.

click here, tells you whats what
    adapter.PNG

• Advertisement

click here, tells you whats what
    adapter.PNG

Cheers yes sorry I should have been clearer I did find that but when I click on it , it doesnt show any wireless setting just the lan now.

Ok solved it from googling more... turns out I was using Jumbo Frames which once I turned off I could use again! Don't really understand why they were working fine until now!? but back up and running.

I am using a Billion Router which is meant to support them and the lan ethernet adaptor is set to work with them ----but hey!

Appreciate your support and hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.

I'll google that myself :)

Advertisement