Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB wire transfer limit?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just curious as to what or if there's a limited amount of money I can receive in an international wire transfer in one go ? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

€5000

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

Is 5000 the maximum incoming to an AIB account or outgoing from an AIB account?
    What if I wanted to transfer 20k from the UAE to my AIB account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

There is no incoming limit.

An amount over E10k may cause the transaction and source of funds to be queried, but that is a separate matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

Interesting. Who would query the transaction, and what form would such a query take?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 oledaveoh

Ok so I can recieve a payment of say, 9k but can't send anything over 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

oledaveoh wrote: »
    Ok so I can recieve a payment of say, 9k but can't send anything over 5?

That's my understanding, although it might be possible to transfer higher amounts at a significant fee. The €5k limit actually only applies to domestic transfers. For international transfers, there's no limit (or it's significantly higher, although for transfers above €5k it has to be done in-branch, i.e. not through online banking).

I was once, after long discussions, offered to transfer a higher amount, domestically, through the international system. I declined, as I was unconvinced about the staff's levels of understanding. Instead, I opted to do it myself online, in several daily €5k instalments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 oledaveoh

hognef wrote: »
    That's my understanding, although it might be possible to transfer higher amounts at a significant fee. The €5k limit actually only applies to domestic transfers. For international transfers, there's no limit (or it's significantly higher, although for transfers above €5k it has to be done in-branch, i.e. not through online banking).

I was once, after long discussions, offered to transfer a higher amount, domestically, through the international system. I declined, as I was unconvinced about the staff's levels of understanding. Instead, I opted to do it myself online, in several daily €5k instalments.

I see. Thankfully I don't have to send anything that high. I was just worried about receiving a 9700 payment from the states ( 13k in $ ) that it wouldn't be processed as it might be over the limit to recieve but it seems from what your saying that it will transfer through ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thefox1982

There is no transaction incoming limit to AIB. There is a fee of 6.35 no matter what the amount.

In terms of transferring money out, the max you can do online is 5000 in the branches there is no limit

thefox1982 wrote: »
    In terms of transferring money out, the max you can do online is 5000 in the branches there is no limit

As explained above, in my experience it wasn't that easy. Have you actually tried? If so, what was the charge and how did they do it? I was told they had no way around the limit, even in-branch, except as explained, which it seemed they had never attempted before. Their initial suggestion was in fact to issue a draft for me to post to the receiving bank.

According to the call centre, however, it was supposed to be straightforward in-branch (as of course it should be).

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

hognef wrote: »
    As explained above, in my experience it wasn't that easy. Have you actually tried? If so, what was the charge and how did they do it? I was told they had no way around the limit, even in-branch, except as explained, which it seemed they had never attempted before. Their initial suggestion was in fact to issue a draft for me to post to the receiving bank.

According to the call centre, however, it was supposed to be straightforward in-branch (as of course it should be).

It seems as though the problem was with the staff in your branch. There is no limit on in-branch domestic transfers (€5k online limit) - the payments are processed using the SDV (Same Day Value) system and you'll need to complete the SDV form which is available somewhere on the AIB website and should be in the branch too. I'm not sure of the fee, and there may be a delay if you are not in your account holding branch.

OP - no problem on receiving $13k once all the details are correct, etc.

• Advertisement

roro2 wrote: »
    It seems as though the problem was with the staff in your branch. There is no limit on in-branch domestic transfers (€5k online limit) - the payments are processed using the SDV (Same Day Value) system and you'll need to complete the SDV form which is available somewhere on the AIB website and should be in the branch too. I'm not sure of the fee, and there may be a delay if you are not in your account holding branch.

OP - no problem on receiving $13k once all the details are correct, etc.

Thank you. Will try a different branch if this issue ever comes up again.

Advertisement