Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY Leaving Cert grinds/classes?

• 27-07-2013 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

This may sound foolish but are there any grinds/classes on Leaving Cert syllabus offered to TY students in the Dublin Area during the school year? I've been searching, and by the looks of it there are none. I want to make sure I do well so i'm willing to put extra time during TY.

Any information is appriciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi, i did a french oral preparation class one evening a week after christmas , it may have been advertised for 5th /6th years but a couple of fourth years came , if you really want to get ahead ,contact a few for 5th /6th year and ask if ty students can come you probably can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Hi, i did a french oral preparation class one evening a week after christmas , it may have been advertised for 5th /6th years but a couple of fourth years came , if you really want to get ahead ,contact a few for 5th /6th year and ask if ty students can come you probably can.
    Thanks! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The Institute offers like weekly classes on every subject but they're pretty expensive, maybe €1000 for a year per subject.

Grinds during TY? Just relax man :pac:

Take a break. If you really want a head start, watch videos online or pick up a few books on your subjects and read ahead.

Try this website: https://www.khanacademy.org/
    Good videos for LC physics, chemistry, biology and maths but there are parts on it that you'll never come across in your Leaving Cert so make sure you know what's on the syllabus and what's not(just find an LC book and look at the chapters). You can get a good idea of a lot of the basics of these subjects and that should help you a lot in 5th year.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    The Institute offers like weekly classes on every subject but they're pretty expensive, maybe €1000 for a year per subject.

Grinds during TY? Just relax man :pac:

Take a break. If you really want a head start, watch videos online or pick up a few books on your subjects and read ahead.

Try this website: https://www.khanacademy.org/
    Good videos for LC physics, chemistry, biology and maths but there are parts on it that you'll never come across in your Leaving Cert so make sure you know what's on the syllabus and what's not(just find an LC book and look at the chapters). You can get a good idea of a lot of the basics of these subjects and that should help you a lot in 5th year.
    Will have a look, and yea, picking up books and just having a brush through them may sound like a better idea than grinds. :)

Just realised I shouldn't worry and should wait till I get my Junior Cert results, then I will know what needs work.

• Advertisement

Do you know what subjects you want to do in the LC?

There's no point getting grinds in a subject in TY if you end up not being able to do that subject. I mean a lot of smaller schools have combinations which make it impossible to do 2 certain subjects. Like in my school it's not possible to do both History and Business or Chemistry and Art and both Biology classes(max 24 in each) were full and they had to make some students pick a different subject.

So my advice to you, ask your principal or career guidance teacher about the subjects, tell them you want to get a head start and ask what you should do.

English, Maths, Irish and your European language is an exception to this for course.

Do you know what subjects you want to do in the LC?

There's no point getting grinds in a subject in TY if you end up not being able to do that subject. I mean a lot of smaller schools have combinations which make it impossible to do 2 certain subjects. Like in my school it's not possible to do both History and Business or Chemistry and Art and both Biology classes(max 24 in each) were full and they had to make some students pick a different subject.

So my advice to you, ask your principal or career guidance teacher about the subjects, tell them you want to get a head start and ask what you should do.

English, Maths, Irish and your European language is an exception to this for course.
    I know what subjects I want to do for LC and there's only 250 students in my school. I agree, it's best to wait till school starts rather than start panicing now during the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Dude chill. Keep breathing. You have plenty of time over the next two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shell18244

What subjects are you looking for ?

I'm available for classes in maths and physics , if that would help you?

I'm a third year physics student :)

Dude chill. Keep breathing. You have plenty of time over the next two years.

Corvo is right..as much as I hate to admit it, he's still right :pac:

I'd just chill for all of TY but if you insist, you can read up on a few subjects..but grinds? Get away with that :p

• Advertisement

Corvo is right..as much as I hate to admit it, he's still right :pac:

I'd just chill for all of TY but if you insist, you can read up on a few subjects..but grinds? Get away with that :p
    What's wrong with a bit of ambition ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

But all your going to do is cover a bit of the start of 5th year and then end up level with the rest of the class.
    You'll be better just to organise a good study timetable and have a good system for filing away sheets and such.

Also you should really take this chance to have a break because the next two years require all your hard work and determination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

As said, I think you'd be burning yourself out a bit. There's plenty of time to cover things in the two years unless you were to do a subject on your own. A lot of people say their languages suffered pretty badly in TY, why not keep up with those a bit? There's a ridiculous amount of fun stuff for French/Spanish/German online. :P Less so for Irish though, or at least I never found any, and probably never looked. :pac: With a subject like English you could study some poems...but your teacher is going to do that anyway. With languages you'll learn a lot of words that your teacher might not cover and that kind of thing. Going over any maths you didn't understand could also be a good idea, but as you said that can wait til you get your results.

Advertisement