Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds

• 27-07-2013 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Does anyone how to get rid of these?

I have tried Roundup, Gallop and many other known brands of weedkiller but instead of killing them, they are bouncing back as strong as ever. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

Do a search for "Horsetail" on this forum.

Apparently it is one of the oldest plants in existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

amandstu wrote: »

And near on impossible to eliminate !!!

A tip I heard was to bruise the stems as much as possible as this will help absorb the weedkiller, they have a natural waxy coating that makes them resistant..

Be careful if you decide to dig/cut them.. They regrow from every fragment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

bbam wrote: »
    And near on impossible to eliminate !!!

A tip I heard was to bruise the stems as much as possible as this will help absorb the weedkiller, they have a natural waxy coating that makes them resistant..

Be careful if you decide to dig/cut them.. They regrow from every fragment..
    +1 to bruising the stems first (done by walking on them), then apply any systemic weedkiller, e.g. roundup or gallup.
    I've had good success using this method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

I find them quite ornamental.It took me years to realise they were a weed.They have never gone brown on me as far as I remember ,never gone mishapen or bare. They don't seem to stop anything else from growing.

I wonder if it is possible when making a new bed to ensure they don't set up home there . Do they just pread undergound or do they also set seed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shortie111

Got this on e bay so hopefully it works

Kill Horsetail /Mares tail and other weeds with Kurtail weedkiller 0.5ltr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

I find them quite ornamental.

Also do, i gave up long ago trying to rid them.
    They make an excellent compost tea,full of minerals.
    Its been around since the time of the dinosaurs..

Salmonman mentioned on another thread that if you want to get rid of them Rush Killer is the gear you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Meh i just pull them up as i find them, not the most intrusive vigorous or nasty of weeds

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I've had reasonable success with roundup, best time to spray is first thing in the morning when the dew is still on them then they wet a lot better and take up more of the weedkiller.

Then spray every time you see them reappear above ground for about 10 years and eventually they'll go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Bottle of vinegar, and pour on plant and around the root. In the US they use a 5-10% strength of acetic acid, and household vinegar is about 5%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Bottle of vinegar, and pour on plant and around the root. In the US they use a 5-10% strength of acetic acid, and household vinegar is about 5%.

+1 for kurtail a weed killer that is specifically designed for the job. Roundup will not eradicate permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Horsetail is a very old plant, used to be a prehistoric tree.
    Very difficult to kill. Seen as a great herb for bladder problems or to strengthen hair, as its full of silica.
    Lots of herb videos on Youtube - cut horsetail, dry and use as a tea.
    I'll try some more Roundup today :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

i have been battling with horsetail for the last few years while spraying with roundup (twice or three times) will kill it it seeems to come back stronger the next year

where can you buy kurtail the only supplier i can find is online in the uk and wont ship to ireland............anyone stock it here

i have been battling with horsetail for the last few years while spraying with roundup (twice or three times) will kill it it seeems to come back stronger the next year

where can you buy kurtail the only supplier i can find is online in the uk and wont ship to ireland............anyone stock it here

Post number 8 here in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79981151

The herbicide Basta has the same main ingredient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

try these
    www.nad.ie/

shortie111 wrote: »
    Got this on e bay so hopefully it works

Kill Horsetail /Mares tail and other weeds with Kurtail weedkiller 0.5ltr

This has definitely worked for now. It has killed this weed. Question is, have I got rid of it for good or will I have to spray on a regular basis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

try D50

FREDNISMO wrote: »
    try D50

Tried it, and its probably the least good of any of the herbicides I've used on it.

shortie111 wrote: »
    This has definitely worked for now. It has killed this weed. Question is, have I got rid of it for good or will I have to spray on a regular basis ?

Happy to report that the weeds are completely dead and starting to disappear. This weedkiller is the only thing that has worked for me. Thanks for the tips.

Advertisement