Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coopers irish stout

Options
  • 27-07-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi I started a brew of Irish stout with 1.5kg of lme and a bit of treacle,sg was 1045 but it seems to have stopped at 1020 gave it a stir to see if it might start fermenting again,anyone have similar experience?sure I read somewhere it should drop to around 1010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Hi I started a brew of Irish stout with 1.5kg of lme and a bit of treacle,sg was 1045 but it seems to have stopped at 1020 gave it a stir to see if it might start fermenting again,anyone have similar experience?sure I read somewhere it should drop to around 1010

Thats not near finished try giving it a small stir with sanitized paddle , you could try another yeast pack also and put it somewhere warm for a few hours 25c or so it will help to get it started again,as it is now its only about 3.3% , you should aim for 1010-1012

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Gave it stir couple of days ago will check it on Monday when get I get home,hopefully that will of done it ,been going about 16 days now,if not will have to get some more yeast

Still stuck after stirring a few days ago,I have got cider yeast and youngs super wine yeast will any of these do?or should i order some other yeast thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Still stuck after stirring a few days ago,I have got cider yeast and youngs super wine yeast will any of these do?or should i order some other yeast thanks

Not sure about either of those ,a good ale yeast ,example safele s04 , and warm it up a bit as i stated earlier

Well after stirring it done nothing then after about a week it started bubbling away again it dropped to 1012 so delighted all bottled up today,glad I gave it time before doing anything drastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Well after stirring it done nothing then after about a week it started bubbling away again it dropped to 1012 so delighted all bottled up today,glad I gave it time before doing anything drastic

Thats really good to hear that the beer sorted itself out.

Proper aeration in the first place is a really good way to prevent stuck or sluggish fermentations. I try to be really vicious about it now - giving the wort a serious shake/stir for 15-20 mins.

sharingan wrote: »
    Thats really good to hear that the beer sorted itself out.

Proper aeration in the first place is a really good way to prevent stuck or sluggish fermentations. I try to be really vicious about it now - giving the wort a serious shake/stir for 15-20 mins.

Will definitely make sure to give it a good stir in future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I always make sure to get a LOT of airation into my fermentation vessal. Even if I'm using a kit and just addign water to a extract in a big pot and them topping up with bottled water I pour the wort in first and then pour the bottled water in "hard" from a decent heigh to get it going and then get the paddle in there and give it a good stir before pitching the yeast.

I also, sometimes, make a yeast starter by mixing a little hiot water with some DME and then adding bottled water to bring the temp down to 24c and then add about 1/4 of the dried yeast sachet and let it "bloom" in the bowl before tipping that into the fermenter, gives it a quick headstart and I notice less freezing and a quicker fermentation.

I probably only do that out of habit from my days of making bread in kitchens though.

Some great tips there,it was my second brew so was a bit clueless, picked up some good info on this forum,can't wait to taste it think I might of over carbonated it slightly used a level teaspoon of sugar per 330ml bottle?.Will try bottled water on my next batch got a coopers stout with 1kg of dme waiting to be brewed when my second batch of turbo cider is finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Some great tips there,it was my second brew so was a bit clueless, picked up some good info on this forum,can't wait to taste it think I might of over carbonated it slightly used a level teaspoon of sugar per 330ml bottle?.

Should be fine. Maybe slightly overcarbed, and you may have some big heads when you pour from bottle. Keep it chilled before consuming.

• Advertisement

The stout is coming along nicely was disappointed when I tasted it after a week in the bottle,but another week and the sweetness has gone it gets better week by week.I added lactose and chocolate syrup to four litres at the secondary stage will try a bottle tomorrow to see how it turned out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sorry to drag up an old thread but after a long hiatus I'm saying goodbye to cider making and going back to kits :pac::pac::pac:

Soo I found a Thomas Coopers Stout tin i never used (best before DEC 2013 !!!) and have 2x500gm packs of spray malt (1 medium and 1 dark) due to go off this and next month.

Of course nobody follows the instructions on the tin.. so was wondering what sugar level (I like my stouts bland as hell but sweet enough)? Stuck fermentation like the OP experienced above was probably due to putting in too much sugar at the start so I'm wondering what sugar level to give a decent finish? (I have brew sugar too)..

not too pushed about adding weird adjuncts (honey, raisins, banana skins, old shoes etc...)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Most sugars will ferment out so won't make the beer any sweeter, but you could try some lactose, to make a milk stout. About half a kilo seems about normal in a ~20L batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

BeerNut wrote: »
    Most sugars will ferment out so won't make the beer any sweeter, but you could try some lactose, to make a milk stout. About half a kilo seems about normal in a ~20L batch.

so thats Half a kilo of lactose + 1kg of dme spray malt?

Anywhere I could get lactose handy? Could splenda be a substitute
    xheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Armelodie wrote: »
    so thats Half a kilo of lactose + 1kg of dme spray malt?
    Yeah, I guess.

Advertisement