Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog found - what should I do?

• 27-07-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Sorry if it's an old question..
    I found a dog today (I've posted on Dub15 forum and don't waNT to cross post).
    I've put an ad on LostDogs.ie and lors lost dogs page on facebook.
    I went to the vet but it was closed.
    She has no collar.
    What should I do? Other websites where I can put a post?
    On monday I can go to the vet again and I can print few posters to put in the area...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Share it on facebook and ask others to share.

On Monday, contact the dog warden and let him know you found a dog. He may want you to hand it in to do its stray time in the pound. Ensure you let him know you will take the dog back if it is not claimed or else it runs the risk of being killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Thanks.
    I would prefer to not bring her to the pound.
    I don't think it's a nice experience for any dog :P and I don't know if they will give me back her after 5 days? I am not the owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

As far as I know it is a legal requirement to let the warden know. The dog may not necessarily HAVE to go to the pound. The warden might be happy enough with a description of the dog and allow it to do its stray time with you.

If the owner is not on facebook or from the area to see your posters then they may not find the dog if you don't let the warden know you've found it. If the owner doesn't show up you can adopt the dog from the pound and then rehome it yourself.

thanks I will contact the garda and dog warden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Hopefully the vet will check for a microchip and it will have details of the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't think there's any huge issue if you want to post details and pic of this dog in the lost and found thread jsabina ;)
    If there's a problem, I'll take the rap :D

Another website you might want to get details up on is www.lostandfound.ie.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Lostandfound.ie hasn't been updated in months. May be best to stick to lostandfound pets

missmyler wrote: »
    Lostandfound.ie hasn't been updated in months. May be best to stick to lostandfound pets

Oops... you're right, it hasn't :o
    It was at one stage a really effective way of reuniting pets and owners. Sorry to see it's gone to sleep!:(

Oh right I haven't seen the thread!
    It looks like I've found the owner on lostdogs.ie
    Tomorrow I'll check.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Just so you know, by law, while you are required to notify either the dog warden or the Gardai, you are not required to hand the dog into the pound. It is a good idea to notify the pound, as that is where many people contact if they have lost a dog...however, if you do not want to hand the dog over to them, be clear about that. Again, you are under no legal obligation to do so. I have done this when I have found strays and, as of yet, have never handed one over to the pound.
    Some vets are open for limited hours on a Sunday, otherwise you can wait until Monday to get the dog scanned for a chip.
    Another thing to do is to put a collar and lead on her, and walk around the local area to see if anybody recognises the dog...this has worked for me on a few occasions.

• Advertisement

mosi wrote: »
    Just so you know, by law, while you are required to notify either the dog warden or the Gardai, you are not required to hand the dog into the pound. It is a good idea to notify the pound, that is where many people contact if they have lost a dog...however, if you do not want to hand the dog over to them, be clear about that. Again, you are under no legal obligation to do so

This is correct, there is no obligation to hand a dog into the pound, but there is an obligation to notify either the warden or the guards.
    However, and this distinction is important, if the finder decides to hold onto the dog in lieu of bringing it to the pound, then the dog does not become legally theirs to rehome/keep for 366 days. Only if the dog is handed into the pound does the 5 day rule apply, that being the dog becomes the legal property of the State to rehome/dispose of if the dog is not claimed within the 5 days.
    This is a common misconception, although occasionally some pounds will allow a dog to do the 5 days in a foster home, I think anytime I've seen this happen were instances where the dog had actually entered the pound first, even if only for a short time, perhaps minutes or hours... But they're "in the system".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

DBB wrote: »
    if the finder decides to hold onto the dog in lieu of bringing it to the pound, then the dog does not become legally theirs to rehome/keep for 366 days.

I never knew this!

Well done jsabina on finding the owner, just saw post on Lors Lost dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

WELL DONE Jsabina, for taking the dog home and looking for its owner! I hope shes going back to someone as kind as you obviously are :)

Quick update.
    The person that wrote me on the website gave me all the details about the dog.
    As the dog had a problem with a paw only sometimes and the person told me exactly I met her.
    They came, a family with a young girl they were so happy to have the dog back and the dog was happy as well :)
    I am glad I found them so fast!

The poor dog has been going around all day and she was lost.
    She was very nice, friendly and really got used so fast to my house and my dog :D

Anyway, if it will happen next time I will know all the rules!!
    :)

thanks!

Advertisement