Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break from PC gaming 2012-2013....what to get?

• 27-07-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

It's all in the title really. Haven't played anything on PC (and very little on console either) over last 18 months and looking to pick up a few new games.

Very interested in the retro style games that seem to be in favour recently too, such as Super Meat Boy etc. But also interested in bigger releases. Last thing I played was Star Craft II.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

skyrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you enjoyed Super Meat Boy, I'd recommend Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole. Much the same thing but with an excellent dynamic shadows/sneaking addition. Shout out to Hotline Miami for being retro and generally amazing.

Currently I'm very much enjoying Planetside 2 and Warframe, both free online multiplayer affairs. Warframe in particular really surprised me, kinda came out of nowhere and turned out to be damn good fun. Shadowrun Returns just came out the other day and it's brilliant too, if you like cyberpunk isometric RPGs with combat like X-COM: Enemy Unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Spec Ops: The Line
    Civilization V: Gold Edition + Brave New World
    To The Moon
    Trine and Trine 2
    Company of Heroes 2
    Alan Wake
    Kerbal Space Programme

I reckon that is a grand mix of genres and will certainly keep you occupied for the next 18 months...or at least until the next Steam Sale. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Witcher 2 - super fantastic mature rig. If you like high quality, can't get anything better.

Spec ops - underdog of gaming world. A good shooter, but not spectacular. where it really really shines is the fantastic setting and story. I havent been so connected with main character in my life. By the end you will see your character morally and physically broken. You will feel almost same. Itsimcreadable experience.

Xcom enemy unknown - turn based strategy with base macro management. Fantastic title.

Bioshock infinite - very good game. Story fantastic.

Warframe - free to play. Futuristic samurai third person game. Great title. You won't lose any by just trying.

Ghost recon online - free to play tactical third person cover shooter. Great crack, but if you are cod player, then ignore this game.

FTL - Indy game. Hard to explaine. Just watch some reviews :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'd like to echo the advice for Spec Ops: The Line above. Also for Civ 5 which has become easy to find with the first expansion for about €10 online. You may already have that though, it came out before 18 months ago :o

In terms of smaller, indie games I'd definitely recommend Mark of The Ninja. Has a higher quality of production than most indie games with a very slick cartoon style that is reminiscent of early 2000s animation like Samurai Jack. It's a really good stealth game though.

I haven't played it yet but Fez came out a short while ago and has also been getting rave reviews, as well as some press since Fez 2 was cancelled. Also unplayed by me is Prison Architect which is a strategy game that I believe is still in alpha but works very well. I have a few friends obsessed about it.

Torchlight 2 is a great dungeon crawler that did really well in the last Steam sale. It sold over 2 million units so if you like this type of game, it's a great choice both because of it's fun gameplay and currently vibrant online community. It's also great craic teaming up to play in co-op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dayz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm playing Kerbal Space Program a lot you build you own rockets it looks simple but it is super addictive. Also FTL is also super addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

Can't believe no one has mentioned it yet. If you have a computer that can handle it in all it's full glory, pick up Rome 2 Total War it's going to be insane. Just check out the Carthage Siege video on youtube it looks amazing.

Armchair generals will be pleased with this one! I'm building a whole new PC just to play it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lone Survivor.

Play it at night, with headphones on.

Alternately, grab Amnesia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Since its release the bulk of my playing time had been taken up with Crusader Kings II. Fantastic strategy game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's been said already but deserves another mention, XCOM: Enemy Unknown

I'd recommend Mass Effect 3 too. Without going into dramatics, it's worth the playthrough if you've played the first and second games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Euro truck simulator 2 lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Rising Storm/ Red Orchestra 2 for multiplayer tactical shooting heaven.

Advertisement