Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vortex viper or hawke sidewinder

Options
  • 27-07-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi lads. Thinking bout getting one of above scopes for cz 455 17hmr. Ive looked at the viper in the 4-16x50 and it looks and feels very well made and the optics seem good also. Have not seen the sidewinder just heard good things about it. Id be looking at the 6-24x56 model. For daytime shooting would the hawke do the job for under 400 new or would ye rate the viper at round 300 more. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Hi lads. Thinking bout getting one of above scopes for cz 455 17hmr. Ive looked at the viper in the 4-16x50 and it looks and feels very well made and the optics seem good also. Have not seen the sidewinder just heard good things about it. Id be looking at the 6-24x56 model. For daytime shooting would the hawke do the job for under 400 new or would ye rate the viper at round 300 more. Thanks

Get a falcon menace and have most of the features of the viper PST but for less than the price of a new sidewinder. Have 2 myself, one on a .22lr , the other on a .223. Both are mil/mil and FFP. Can't beat em for the price in my opinion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If i had to pick between the two i'd take the Sidewinder.cheaper, as good in terms of quality and performance. I'm a little bias, owning three of them, but they are good value.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

The Viper range are excellent, IMHO you are putting a scope on the .17 which reaches well beyond the capacity of the rifle, on my .17 I have had several scopes, and recently bought a s&b here on boards secondhand 6x40 and its perfect for the .17 capability, in saying that I am a big Vortex fan and as soon as I can I am going to get one on my .223.
    Not a Hawke fan at all, but there is Blondes and Red heads that can turn a mans eye everyday. :)
    BTW have a look at a Bushnell Banner its better than the Hawke & cheaper than the Vortex.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Had two sidewinders before 6-24 & 8-32 on my 17 and 223 at the time. They definately alright for the money but not on the same level as Vortex. Judging from my own expierence: I have 6.5-24x50 Vortex on my Varmint 455 17 hmr at the moment. Built quality, turets, paralax works flawlesly and glass is great. Would defo recomend it for the hmr

The sidewinders are approx €395.

How much are the Vortex? The one you have.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    The sidewinders are approx €395.

How much are the Vortex? The one you have.

430 of Optics Trade plus postage

How much? In Euro. Including postage, shipping, taxes, duty, etc.

More to the point how much are they here?

How much? In Euro. Including postage, shipping, taxes, duty, etc.

More to the point how much are they here?

Just looked at their site, the one I got is 466 euro now, was 430 euro special offer when I got mine 6 months ago. Postage arround 20 if im correct and no other taxes or dutys, they based in EU. Havent got a clue how much they r here

zlezlius wrote: »
    430 of Optics Trade plus postage

Just checked it. Regular price is €550, and special price is €466.65 plus postage. Allowing for it to be only €25 we'll call it €500.

Cross posts.

The Vortex has less mag, no illuminated reticle, and a smaller objective lens. Plus it's over €100 (€150 at full price) dearer than the Hawke.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match here between the Hawke and Vortex. I've no vested interest in either. My opinion is based on a scope with, as i see it, better features, lower price, 30 year warranty, and a proven record of reliability. not to mention availability. I see Sidewinders in most every dealer. Have yet to see a Vortex. not to say they are not available, but not regularly stocked.

Only a couple of months ago i had a similar discussion with a lad from here. He had to order his one in. Vortex that is. So if something goes wrong with it then it's a long wait to send it back to have it repaired or replaced. With Hawke you have instant replacement, but the repair bit is the same (i'm sure).

If tempted by the Vortex at €550 i'd look at other manufacturers in the same price range. Even second hand models/makes where someone else has taken the initial hit.

• Advertisement

Just checked it. Regular price is €550, and special price is €466.65 plus postage. Allowing for it to be only €25 we'll call it €500.

Okay...sorry, what are you tryin to say here? Obviously Vortex is more expensive than Hawke, so is better. Since OP was asking advise on them two I gave my honest opinion cause I hapened to have/had them bouth scopes

Okay...sorry, what are you tryin to say here?
    Read my post just above this. We're missing each others posts.
    Obviously Vortex is more expensive than Hawke, so is better.
    Never , ever believe that. About any product. More money is not automatically better.
    Since OP was asking advise on them two I gave my honest opinion cause I hapened to have/had them bouth scopes
    I know?

This is a discussion forum, so we're discussing. Don't see the problem.

Obviously more expensive is not neceserely always bettery, but it is in this case again in my own personal opinion. Now I now you have 3 Hawkes,but did you personally had/used Vortex in the field or range?

........ but did you personally had/used Vortex in the field or range?
    Yup.

A 3-9 one and another i cannot remember on my mates rifle. Nice scopes, no complaints with them. As i said above i'm not knocking them. The OP asked which would people choose and why. You are giving your case for the Vortex i'm giving mine for the Hawke.

You said above you imported yours. Where can they be gotten here? How much? What is warranty like on them? Do they need to be sent off (like your one, if it break do you need to send it back to optic trade?).

All these are factors. If there is very little separating two scopes i look for the one that gives the better value, best back up support/warranty, and one that is easily and quickly available.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Thanks for the opinions lads. Both scopes seem to get good reviews and am looking at best value one as dont want to spend fortune on rimfire scope yet dont want something I will be unhappy with shortly after it sits on rifle. Might just keep eye on for sale forum aswell, never know what might come up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

As an owner of both scopes Id say get the hawke. IMO the viper is a little bit better, but not much better, and not justifiably better for the price. Especially for a rimfire.

BTW: If you want a viper in Ireland Brian Duffy in Galway is the man to see. The 4-16 is 695 and the 6-24 is 765.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Never use a vortex

I have a sidewinder and its great for the money. I can't say which one is better but all I can say is that I wasn't disappointed with mine and would recommend one no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The vortex scopes have a lifetime warranty I believe.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

Also for a rimfire, I'd save my money and get a Hawke.

Advertisement