Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H1B Interview at Dublin Embassy: What to Expect?

• 27-07-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

Next week I have my interview at the US embassy in Dublin to get a H1B visa.

Has anyone went through this who could let me know what to expect? Questions asked, how long it takes, etc. I think I have all my supporting docs in order but just want to make sure it all goes smoothly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

It's fairly straight forward. They may ask when did you graduate, and to confirm your job position title.

When I got mine they just took the official H1b notice from me but I had also brought a letter from my employer confirming the job position and info about the company.

How long it will take depends on how many are ahead of you on the day. Took about 3 hours waiting for me after I handed up my docs and got fingerprinted, and my appt was at 9:15am. When I was finally interviewed it only took about 10mins. You should get your passport back with the visa in it in about 4-5 business days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 goawaylisa

Thanks sleepyescapade. 3 hours? I'll have to bring a book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Pretty much
    Where you went to school? Where you intend on working? What is your job? And where are you going... Bring a coat (New hampshire in winter for!)

It is pretty informal and quick, but like others said it will be a long wait. They have done most of the Vetting during the H1b app.

Ok, good to know. Thanks Darren!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lanterrrn

Had mine recently and it was all grand. Informal and quick interview, with a bit of waiting (an hour for me) to do, as the folks above said. Asked: Where I was headed, what I had studied, whether I had booked flights (I hadn't, since I was waiting for my H-1B to be approved first). They tell you it's approved, and away you go with a big smile on your face.

Best of luck anyway! Should be pretty much fine at this stage.

Essential:

- I-129 petition
    - Valid passport
    - Printout of your DS-160 confirmation sheet (just the confirmation will suffice)
    - Postal order for the visa application fee (you won't be able to get a bank draft these days)
    - Stamped Irish-addressed envelope (~6" x ~9.5"). My Post Office had a little postal packet that they recommended for it (registered post). Good idea to snap a picture of the tracking number before you go to the embassy.
    - Bank statement or convincing documents to show you can support yourself.

Not sure if essential but might be handy to have:

- Degree transcripts/diploma copy (they gave this back to me)
    - Proof of your appointment (they gave this back to me)
    - Physical copy of the photo you used for the DS-160 (didn't see anywhere that told me I had to bring it, but they took one off me anyway and stapled it to my paperwork).

Unnecessary:

- Return evidence, regardless of what the site might say

• Advertisement

Thanks Lanterrrn! I foolishly booked my flights already. I saw an Aer Lingus sale and booked a flight (plus the return flight for Christmas) without thinking that I wasn't supposed to until after the interview. I'm hoping they don't hold that against me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

goawaylisa wrote: »
    Thanks Lanterrrn! I foolishly booked my flights already. I saw an Aer Lingus sale and booked a flight (plus the return flight for Christmas) without thinking that I wasn't supposed to until after the interview. I'm hoping they don't hold that against me.

No shouldn't do, how long is it after the interview? You don't get your passport immediately.

Not flying until the end of September, my attorney said I can enter the U.S. anytime after Sept. 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lanterrrn

You should be fine. They really just advise not booking flights before your interview. If you're denied, your flight's worthless after all. But that's quite unlikely of course!

In any case, there's a part of the DS-160 that asks for when you're arriving in the States, or when you intend to arrive, so you're fine in either case. I just mentioned it since that was what I was personally asked.

Thanks Lanterrrn! Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement