Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 52

• 27-07-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

I got out of collecting current DC comic books back around 1990/1991 because, honestly, the stuff I always ended up enjoying so much more was the back issues from the sixties, seventies and eighties that I continued to pick up.

After a decade or so of gradually getting back into comics, I decided to test the waters once more due to the pushing of the new "52" as the ideal way for a longtime fan to reconnect without having to wade through 20 years of continuity...

It pains me to say this, but what the hell happened? Time was, the words "By Grant Morrison" were a guarantee of an excellent, edgy script but he seems to be writing a new Jerry Bruckheimer screenplay every issue of Action Comics.

Having picked up a few of the flagship titles for the last several months, I can honestly say the only one that was remotely interesting was The Dark Knight.
    The rest are simply boring and frankly, unintelligible. Green Lantern was a ****ing disaster, I hadn't a clue what was going on and after one issue, threw it away.
    Superman, Action, The Flash, JL...all seemed to suffer from the same affliction of minimal characterisation and maximal stylisation.
    All mouth no trousers.

Maybe I was wrong to expect more, and maybe, as I haven't picked up anything new since '91, the new name over the door doesn't matter, this is just how comics are now?

Didn't mean this to become a rant!

PS. I did pick up Deadpool, which as a marvel title would have been unthinkable to me some years ago, and it's pretty good.
    Aquaman was also a bit of fun, but I think that's as much a perverse pleasure seeing the butt of every DC universe joke become something of a force to be reckoned with...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the problem with some of the new 52 titles was that they advertised a relaunch yet kept things the same. For example Green Lantern just continued on as if nothing has changed.

Batman just seems confused. It seems as though it's carrying on as normal yet it's been implied that he's only been around for 6 years. In that time we're supposed to believe all pre new 52 Robins(except Stephanie) trained with him and were his partners as before and Death in the Family still took place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I hadn't read any comics since the 80s before the New 52. Have tried a few now but I can't say I've been overly impressed. Maybe it's just a case of me seeing things through rose-tinted glasses but I remember being enthralled by various comics when I was young. I still like them, and the artwork and colouring on many of the New 52 are just amazing. I liked Suicide Squad for a good while there but it's getting a bit sameish now I think. Batwoman was pretty good too. Yeah, I think I've talked myself in a circle here now. I think I'll put any enchantment down to part nostalgia for my youth and part style over story. Damn, now I've a hankering to pick up a few more, if only for the artwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Batman runs through Robins like I run through socks at this stage.

It's a very soft reboot, they're picking and choosing which parts of continuity to keep as they go along which isn't ideal. I'm reading all of 4 DC titles (last time I checked) and that's Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman and the Movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I only tried 2 of the wonder woman books. The first(I think) and then one of the later ones. I didn't think much of it. I know a lot of people love this book too. Maybe I should have given it more of a chance. All in all the New 52 didn't grab me nearly as much as I thought it would.

Advertisement