Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second opinion on a dog ad please?

• 27-07-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying a new puppy and although I am trying to get one through the IKC I found what seems to be a genuine ad through done deal. I know buying through done deal can be risky and it is for this reason I am looking for a second opinion, hopefully from someone a bit more experienced

Please comment on this if you are willing to help and I can pm the ad to you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You can pm it to me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

Hiya,buying so called "IKC" registered dogs from any websites like done deal usually means that the puppies are from a puppy farm...my suggestion is that if you are looking for a puppy with IKC papers, source out a reputable breeder as they don't advertise on sites. Ask around in a few pet shops or vets,meet with the breeder and see what kind of facilities the breeder has,just my advice from past experiences!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If you want to go with this donedeal ad (as opposed to finding a breeder near you or one that has puppies at the moment) I would phone the person advertising. see what vibes you get from him/her. I would ask to see where the litter has been bred/live and NB! ask to see the mother (and sire if s/he owns them). I would ask to see the litter/parent(s) in their usual environment so that you can see how they interact/behave etc. I would ask to see the puppies innoculation/wormer cards. There are decent folk out there using donedeal, as long as you are aware that there are puppy-farmers and the like using it too and keep that in mind.... Good luck! What breed are you looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry only got to look at it today. There's no mention of health tests so I would find out what tests are needed for beagles and ask that breeder are they done on the parents first before doing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

And if you organise to come and meet them to see the puppies (and as above, where they were bred, where they live now, and their mother, father if possible), arrange a time and show up early. About half an hour should be enough to catch them off-guard.

If they are genuine, it won't make a difference, and you can say you left early because you didn't know where you were going and it was easier to find than you thought. If they are shady, eg the pups have to be brought into the house from a shed outside, or the mother is suddenly not available you know something is up.

Make sure you are WELL educated on what vaccinations, worming treatments and health tests should have been performed between puppies and mother, and how often. A lot of naive people looking to buy a puppy will just assume the breeder is telling the truth. We had someone on here recently who bought a puppy from the back of a car, the puppy was tiny (also the wrong sex, I believe) with no vaccinations and a dose of worms, and the buyer unfortunately took the breeder's word for it. Ask the breeder when the puppies will be vaccinated. If they say you are to do it and they haven't been, wrong answer. If they have not received enough/any worming doses, wrong answer. If the parents are not health-tested with proof to coincide, wrong answer.

And most important of all if any of the above leaves you thinking something is not right, that's because something is not right. DO NOT BUY A PUPPY OUT OF PITY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Is it reasonable for me to ask the owner for the vets details? The seller owns both mother and father so I thought I could ring the vet and see if the parents have any health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

if the breeders are genuine, they will be happy that you are a responsible potential-owner, looking to make sure that the puppy you buy from them is healthy. They should have no problem giving you their vets details. Of course, if the bitch/dog are healthy, they may not have had much dealings with a vet (good of course) apart from vacc's\boosters etc.

As said already, educate yourself on any Beagle physical/health problems, and make sure your breeders dog/bitch are clear of any of these issues.

Advertisement