Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living away from son,feel down

Options
  • 27-07-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im currently working in Dublin and I have a son with an ex partner down the country,I would love to move closer to him but this means trying to get a job in this climate which will be tough.I try get down most weekends but its costly and tiring.Anyone in similiar situation?Feel down about this at times.thanks

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,047 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Moved to Parenting, OP. You might get more appropriate advice in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I try get down most weekends but its costly and tiring.Anyone in similiar situation?Feel down about this at times.thanks

I admire your commitment to seeing your son. Is he of an age where he could come up to you in Dublin and stay with you?

Seeing as the summer holidays are upon us why not suggest to your ex-partner that maybe he comes up for a week or a long weekend if possible or maybe try chat with him via skype or web cam midweek so that you can have a face to face chat with him. This may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,561 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Skype and phone calls and send him the odd little present in the post to show that your not forgetting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He is 2 and a half.Yes I talk to him twice a week over phone ,i must get skype set up.I just feel its tougher being away from him as he gets older.Very hard leaving him on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

Hi OP

I would highly recommend Skype.. it is a great way of keeping in contact. At 2 and a half, it may be difficult to keep him to concentrate long enough on a call. With the skype, they can show you everything, any drawings etc in playschool, show you any new teeth etc...the things that I would imagine, you are feeling you are missing out on.
    If the mother is in agreement, maybe you can actully read him a bednight story, one night of the week, through skype. My friend is away from his son (he is in Canada working, and this is how he keeps in touch with his child. His son shows him, the big truck he made from lego etc. I thought it was just really really nice, to hear him laughing away in his room, chatting away to his dad.
    I hope this helps. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement