Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Gym Warning - Car and gear stolen

• 27-07-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

My brother was home from Dublin for the weekend and decided to head into the UL gym for a swim. Came out and his locker had been broken into and all his gear stolen.

They took the keys of his car and stole that too (tdi golf) along with his mountain bike which was in his car and all his mountain biking gear. They clearly must have seen him from the car park and followed him in. The cops came but UL staff couldn't work the CCTV stuff so he has to go back on Monday. UL have signs up saying they aren't responsible for peoples belongings.

This kind of **** really pisses me off. I went to UL for four years myself and have heard of this happening before. I really thing they should be doing a little more to prevent this type of stuff from happening or at least be able to work the CCTV equipment when it does happen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

Thanks for posting this.
    I'm really sorry to hear what happened to your brother, I use the gym and pool regularly and there is zero security there.

Having to wait Till Monday to access the cctv recordings is just farcical.

I hope he has some good news from this incident soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Yeah I was just chatting to my brother and he was saying the duty manager in UL was basically just acting like it wasn't his problem. Didn't seem to have any idea whether the CCTV was working or not and how to access it. Said there might be a maintenance guy in on monday who may be able to access it if it was working. It really is very disappointing and you feel so powerless. The guards took a statement and that was pretty much it.

I'm living in Brisbane and I know if this stuff happened in my gym, the cops and the gym would be doing everything in their power to try and sort it out. At home, it just seems like nobody cares. So frustrating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Its bad form from the Gym. Hopefully the word gets out and people using the gym know going in they are on their own should the worst happen.

The Arena is a not cheap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You should get on to the Limerick Post. They have no problem filling a page with "who was seen" at the gym this week....

They should address this, or else complain the staff for not giving a sh*t.

"Spotted at the Arena" was this young fella robbing peoples cars.

• Advertisement

So UL managed to dig out the CCTV footage in fairness to them and the cops said they should be able to use it to get a conviction. Apparently this was happening quite regularly about 6 months ago but it had stopped. They have recovered the car too but my brother has to wait till tomorrow evening to see what state its in. Fingers crossed.

Hope there is no damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the scumbag is a member at the gym, ensure you let everyone there know about the conviction; it'll be a lot harder for him to walk around the gym unnoticed in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

UL is always having problems with theft. Thats limerick citayyy?

Scumbags go into the carpark and even rob wheels off cars.
    Other scumbags walk through the college with a bolt cutters and end up leaving on new bikes for themselves.

Noonan cant even keep secondary schools out or quiet or out the library, what hope have they doing anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

I was a member at UL and I have to say I never seen anything, but since this i`m going to join somewhere different. This problem is one I can`t afford to happen to me. So new gym here I come. Thanks for the heads up!

Ps. The pool does be closed alot of weekends, they do not tell you that when you join!

• Advertisement

So some good news, the guards found my brothers car. He went back down to limerick yesterday and picked it up. Slight problem with the handbrake but insurance will fix that. Besides that its all good. Didn't get back the stuff that was in the car but thats no surprise. They managed to catch one of the guys aswell. Wasn't a member as far as I know, just some scumbag that was known to the cops. All in all a great result! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I heard of bike robbing in ul over 20 years ago. Nothing new there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yes, I know someone who that happened to also (about 8-12 months ago). In the female locked room.

Wasnt ideal, but I'd leave handbag in the boot, just bring the e2 for the lockers, change and then take the car keys with me (pocket in tracksuit pants).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pudfk

My brother who is in UL was at the gym in campus as normal and got his locker robbed with his car keys, wallet, everything all on his last day of xmas exams. It is ****ing ridiculous that people can just walk in and steal someones stuff... what a great start to Christmas and i hope whoever stole from him gets whats coming to them!!! And of course if by any chance anyone knows of anything please post a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In defence of the Arena, the campus is 330 acres and all CCTV is monitored centrally. The staff probably don't even know where the cameras are, never mind how to use them, it's not their job.

I know this had happened before, but if known individuals were seen trying to gain entry, or even in the general vicinity Gardaí were called and were very helpful.

There is access control, so it's not as if the individual in question just breezed in by reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pudfk

ninty9er wrote: »
    I understand how big the campus is and i am not blaming staff, i am blaming people who think they can just steal things and get away with it and they believe they have the right too and have no shame. Both the garda and staff in UL have been very helpful so far and hopefully my brothers belongings will be returned.

Advertisement