Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-opening of the Nocturnal Library

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm currently in the middle of a Laundry Archives re-read. They're one of the most enjoyable series of sci-fi I've ever read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I really like Stross, Rule 34 and Singularity Sky are worth a read, nice the Laundry Files is a nice follow on from Dresden, or maybe a bit of the Rivers of London series?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Not familiar with the Rivers of London series, but I shall investigate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Shiminay wrote: »
    I assume we're all finished the latest Dresden Files Skin Game? I just started playing Watch_Dogs and it's based in Chicago so I'm curious to see if there's a certain island out on the lake for fun :D
    The local may not want to see you
    Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm currently in the middle of a Laundry Archives re-read. They're one of the most enjoyable series of sci-fi I've ever read.

I love the Laundry. Poor Bob keeps getting dropped into it. Course, that would happen when your boss is the Eater of Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

reading a novel John Grisham more lawyers this one sent to find an illegitimate heir to billions. interesting cause she's in the Pantanel in Brazil and doesn't want to be found.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I am thoroughly enjoying "Excel 2013, Data Analysis for Dummies" - its riveting (really)

I finished Grisham's The Testament in tears. I hate that books can make me cry.

Finished King's THE DOME yesterday ended well lots of brutality and blood, Was interesting to note that the book is very little like the show that started last fall and is scheduled to continue the end of this month. The differences are vast and it seems other than the fact there is a dome that shuts them off from the world a completely different story. ( yes, i cried again when the doggies got killed or had to die, he's gonna have to quit that stuff) All in all it was worth the read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

EZ24GET wrote: »
    Finished King's THE DOME yesterday ended well lots of brutality and blood, Was interesting to note that the book is very little like the show that started last fall and is scheduled to continue the end of this month. The differences are vast and it seems other than the fact there is a dome that shuts them off from the world a completely different story. ( yes, i cried again when the doggies got killed or had to die, he's gonna have to quit that stuff) All in all it was worth the read.

I finished it last week, I really enjoyed it!

I enjoyed the TV show too, which is for sure very different. So looking forward to season 2, not sure what they are going to do with it!

Started King's "Lisey's Story". I'm slow getting into it, its not a thrilling start like Under the Dome but I've heard its a great read so going to stick with it.

back to reading Grisham not the usual thing just the football players in Italy. Its good light reading goes quickly, have the Stephen King one that is supposed to be a sequel to The Shining but somehow never could get interested in it. Have to try a little harder I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip k dick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip k dick

Great book, but I liked The Man In The High Castle better. Just started reading Grendel by John Gardner. Much more philosophical than it at first appears

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great book, but I liked The Man In The High Castle better. Just started reading Grendel by John Gardner. Much more philosophical than it at first appears

This is my first time reading anything by him so will check that out next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I took delivery of three books of the Silo series this morning. Have started reading the first book Wool and have found myself instantly hooked. :)

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Wool is actually a book I've been meaning to check out :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

I took delivery of three books of the Silo series this morning. Have started reading the first book Wool and have found myself instantly hooked. :)

Added to the list :-D

Its 5 bucks on the us kindle store.........I must have it!

Its 5 bucks on the us kindle store.........I must have it!

Treat yourself Seph! :D

I will :D

Hugo am I right in thinking theres 3 books ?

I will :D

Hugo am I right in thinking theres 3 books ?

Yeah that's right: Wool, Shift and Dust.

• Advertisement

Great stuff those books

Just finished Wool.

I'm a bit of a slow reader I'm a little ashamed to say! :o

The book was fantastic though! Can't wait to get started on the next one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I picked up Ursula Le Guin's 'The Left Hand of Darkness" today - not my normal genre of books, but it looks interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Honour-of-the-Space-Marines-hardback.jpg
    http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Honour-imperialis-Cover.jpg
    http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Soul-Drinkers-Annihilation.jpg

Latest three books, finishing Honour of the Space Marines, then I'll move onto Honour Imperialis, and then before I get the Soul Drinkers done I have to finish one of their books from the previous omnibus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Mind if I join in? One of my New Year's Resolutions is to read a bit more than I did in 2014. Last year I read about 6 books in total. A huge change from one book a week while I was in school and college.

Anyway, this is what I read last a couple of weeks ago:

13112023.jpg
    Synopsis from Amazon:
    In the midst of a sudden spring snowstorm, an unknown man armed with a gun walks into an elementary school classroom. Outside the school, the town of Broken Branch watches and waits. Officer Meg Barrett holds the responsibility for the town’s children in her hands. Will Thwaite, reluctantly entrusted with the care of his two grandchildren by the daughter who left home years earlier, stands by helplessly and wonders if he has failed his child again. Trapped in her classroom, Evelyn Oliver watches for an opportunity to rescue the children in her care. And thirteen-year-old Augie Baker, already struggling with the aftermath of a terrible accident that has brought her to Broken Branch, will risk her own safety to protect her little brother. As tension mounts with each passing minute, the hidden fears and grudges of the small town are revealed as the people of Broken Branch race to uncover the identity of the stranger who holds their children hostage.

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

more readers are always welcome :D

If you can read this, you're too close!

I didnt realise patrick rothfuss has a new novel out

Slow-Regard-Front-Cover.jpg

I must have it :D

Anyone else checked out the Libriomancer series by Jim Hines yet? Imagine being able to pull objects from books to deal with your problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

I'm reading the series of 'marian keyes's' books at the moment, they're great I have to say :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I have returned, if you don't mind. :)

In the past few weeks I've gotten into James Patterson's books in a huge way. They're right up my street, they're like Criminal Minds/CSI in book form! I've also read a couple more random ones in between. :D

Here's what I've read so far:

lg-angle-postcardKillers.jpg2331058.jpglg-angle-killMeIfYouCan.jpglg-invisible.jpg51-BJgNeRWL._AA160_.jpg51GFw2G5pDL.jpg

Started this last night:

41Gu25pCJaL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Advertisement