Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was this pub called?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

20 odd years ago myself and then GF went to Wexford for the weekend. We stayed in a B&B north of the town and had beers both (balmy) nights in a pub down the road for us. It was almost opposite the Ferrycarrig Hotel and had an outside section on the banks of the river.
    They played Bob Marley on the loudspeakers all night and the crack was great-plenty of locals etc. They even sold t-shirts saying "I got pi**ed at Sloppy Joe's".

Thing is the next time I went past it it was flattened and all that was left were the foundations. Anyone remember what it was called? (it wasn't called Sloppy Joes BTW)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

jaysus, has it been 20 years since the oak tavern burned.

I'm feeling old, how long ago was the Un Yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    jaysus, has it been 20 years since the oak tavern burned.

I'm feeling old, how long ago was the Un Yoke

:confused: 2013 -2006 = 7 years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

didn't see that bit, I don't feel AS old now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Thanks folks, that's the one-great photo too and great memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

There were plans to rebuild the pub but it was declined as it was an unsuitable place to build a pub or some reason like that even though there was a pub there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

McLoughlin wrote: »
    There were plans to rebuild the pub but it was declined as it was an unsuitable place to build a pub or some reason like that even though there was a pub there in the first place.

By way of incredible coincidence I've just noticed this pub/site is featured on a brand new article on thejournal.ie about pubs no longer there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"This was one awful kip and it certainly won't be missed. Dingy decor, poor food and even worse beer. Good luck and good riddance."

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g186643-d607197-r64834792-Oak_Tavern-Wexford_County_Wexford.html#REVIEWS

You're never far away from Judgement Day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The Oak Tavern was my local and my life blood. I'm still not over the loss :(

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Its pathetic really, Wex county council refuse planning permission to rebuild the pub due to traffic concerns yet the site has had a pub on it for around 500 years !! Sigh.

Used to love the food there. Chops, chips and beans anyone ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hot beef and onion sandwich. Extra beef for the locals ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I witnessed a crash there years ago when I was thumbing a lift home to Enniscorthy after some hon courting in Wexford town.

An auld couple pulled out from the pub in their car, a mad man on a motorbike came blazing down from the North side of the bridge passing a car and was t-boned by the car who's view was impeded by an artic parked in the hard shoulder on the bridge and couldn't see the oncoming north traffic on the wrong side of the road in the motorbike's case.

It ended up in court, but eventually got settled before I was called in as a witness.

I'd say accidents like this did not help the pubs rebuild planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Probably true alright. It was quite dangerous so I'd imagine permission would be hard to get.

Fantastic location on a summers day though. Used to bring some yank visitors from work out there and they loved it.

Accidents were rare.

Permission was refused.

Can't understand why consigering there has been an ale house there for around 500 years.

The speed zone is 60km/h and quite stricly enforced (Garda car always around there)

Advertisement