Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposing Community Beneficial Development?

Options
  • 28-07-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone know the best way to go about proposing a development to the local council at all? I'm thinking a proper outdoor basketball court could be a nice addition to Dun Laoghaire considering every court in the locality seems to be on private land. I know basketball isn't as popular as football, but football can be played pretty much on any open bit of grass and a few jumpers as goal posts is almost as good as the real thing, basketball you need proper nets and a proper surface. A full size court is 28x15m (420sq M) so a lot smaller to a football pitch (105x68m or 7,140sq M).

Decided to pop a mail off to a supplier of outdoor sport surface tiles which would be installed over a flat concrete or asphalt surface and the cost for this is just shy of €20,000 including proper backboard and net installation and would look something like this after installation:
    4730944853.jpg

I imagine between all the slides, swings and everything else, a child's playground isn't much different price wise but obviously the location and land will be a different story and then levelling and at least a 4 inch sub base of levelled concrete.

I'm thinking here: http://goo.gl/maps/pl38S would be a good location, flat already, a few little exercise things there already and in an easy accessible location from Dart and Bus.

Would approaching the council with such a suggestion be laughed at or may it actually be considered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Email the community development or sports depts. Although their strategies are to develop multi-use leisure centres with shared facilities and maintenance rather than one-off courts in random spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You'll need to get the locals on your side first, which will not be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah sure what's not to like about it :) Can locals object to things like this easy enough then yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

As far as I remember there are Basketball courts provided by the council in Kilboggit Park and Coolevin in Ballybrack, but I wouldn't have a clue if they are full size or not

21/25

Just had a look on google maps and I see some concrete ones alright. They are a far bit out of the way though and concrete isn't the best to be playing basketball on either. Would be great to have a proper court in a good location that's accessible easily via public transport from all around including locally. Haven't heard anything back from the council yet...

• Advertisement

Well, still haven't heard anything back from the council on this. They spent 36 million on the new library so it doesn't make this sound like such a wild idea :)

Advertisement