Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I separate them?

• 28-07-2013 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Not sure if I'm being overprotective here but I am looking after a friends 10 month old male **** tzu terrier cross and he keeps trying to mount my 9 month pup. Now to be fair she is a golden retriever so logistically it is probably unlikely and as far as I'm aware she is not in heat (she's my first dog but I know the signs) I am just finding it unpleasant to watch and am wondering if I should separate them? Very much regretting the favour now as not only is he trying to hump her (and anything that moves) he keeps cocking his leg in my house and weeing everywhere!!!!!!!!

Any help, suggestions, advice would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Isn't that usually just a domination thing? Unless there's a little lipstick happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sarah45121

Have now seen this dogs 'lipstick' far too many times!!! Just keeps popping out!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Is he neutered? I would imagine that could help the situation!

No he's not, I wouldn't have posted if he was. He's only with us for today so am not looking to change his behaviour just wondering if I should separate them? To be honest I think it is probably me being uncomfortable with him trying to hump her when all she wants to do is play games! Am probably just being silly!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If there's no chance of your dog being in heat then there is no need to separate them but it can be annoying for your dog to have to endure it. Can you distract him with a squeaky toy or something?

The bigger problem is where you say he tries to hump 'everything that moves', does that include humans etc? Neutering might not stop the humping problem at this stage but if his behaviour is becoming unacceptable you need to tell your friend. It's not just a male dog thing either, plenty of female make humping motions too!

The leg cocking and weeing everywhere is territory marking your house, it's not that he's not housetrained but male intact dogs do this when they go visiting so make sure you say it to your friend that he does this, otherwise she may bring him somewhere that he really gets in trouble for it (a not so good friend, a parents house etc).

• Advertisement

If there's no chance of your dog being in heat then there is no need to separate them but it can be annoying for your dog to have to endure it. Can you distract him with a squeaky toy or something?

The bigger problem is where you say he tries to hump 'everything that moves', does that include humans etc? Neutering might not stop the humping problem at this stage but if his behaviour is becoming unacceptable you need to tell your friend. It's not just a male dog thing either, plenty of female make humping motions too!

The leg cocking and weeing everywhere is territory marking your house, it's not that he's not housetrained but male intact dogs do this when they go visiting so make sure you say it to your friend that he does this, otherwise she may bring him somewhere that he really gets in trouble for it (a not so good friend, a parents house etc).

Thank you!!!!!! Will suggest to her to get him neutered! I think my pup has started putting him in his place, am just being overprotective of her but clearly she can stand up for herself!:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

I have 3 boys and have 1 of them nuetered but it doesnt stop the dominance humping or 'lipstick' popping out which I thought should

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

name0123 wrote: »
    I have 3 boys and have 1 of them nuetered but it doesnt stop the dominance humping or 'lipstick' popping out which I thought should

It will help curb it but won't get rid of the habit totally. Training is significantly easier when there is no hormonal drive to do so, some dogs stop completely while with no other input some need to be taught that it is an unwanted behavior.

OP - if the humping is very aggressive or is really bothering your own dog, then you may need to seperate them. However, often times they sort if out amongst themselves (ie. the humpee will tell the humper to feck off with himself) and a vocal correction from you to reinforce it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Is it possibly your 9 mth old pup is coming into heat. A young dog with no experience would get very excited by this.

Advertisement