Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steps to take in the event of break in

Options
  • 28-07-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Just curious . Aside from your bedside panic button . What have you to defend yourself with in the event that someone actually breaks in ? What's your plan if your alarm goes off at night ?

me .
    Rf fob with panic .
    Remote for outside lights ( soon to be linked to the 9 key on my fob .
    Golf club under bed .
    Mod Snip

Charger , TV remote .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You must live in a very rough place

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There's a panic button on the wall and I've my mobile as well. To be honest there's nothing here for them to take anyways.

If they do break in, I'd push down the panic button and shout and tell them to get the hell out, they'd want to have some balls to not get out I can assure you.

You must be in a very rough area

Its all very well saying I have a golf club under my bed and shure ill wack them with it if they come near me, but a good neighbourhood and watching out for each other is so important, both in rural and urban areas. Keep and eye out for eachother, if their away on holidays offer to park a car up their drive way or leave their bins out/in. It really goes along way. I know recently around here there's been a few break ins (into vehicles in particular- don't forget to lock it if you have one), but look out for each other. Its something one wouldn't think about, being all busy you forget about the neighbours (I would!).

If you activate an alarm, it really draws attention from the neighbours to them so I doubt there would be much of a need for a golf club anyway.

Better be safe then sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

no live in a nice area. Just a bad town .
    Few pipe bombs lately ;) .
    We have neighbourhood watch .
    Have had people creeping around the back garden and in the shed .

So most of you have no plan for if somone was to break in ? What if they were aggressive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I had a baseball bat beside my bed for 20 years and i finally needed it 2 years ago, 2 guys broke in one evening and i chased them down the stairs out the back garden into the lane and i'm glad they got away. The adrenalin in me made me turned back into a prehistoric caveman. Lucky for all of us they got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok guys defending yourself in your home is all well and good, but this is a home security forum we need to be careful that we don't offer advice to people that will encourage them to break the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I must be lucky. I live in the countryside and the amount of times I left my key in the car and forgot to lock it. I do be looking around for the keys the next morning and go outside and their still in the ignition.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

One of the best things that you can possibly arm yourself with is a mobile phone :)
    Phone the Gardai and tell the intruders that they are on they way, even if you did not get through.

Most other "weapons" may well be turned on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I have a giant mousetrap with some jewels in it behind the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

2011 wrote: »
    One of the best things that you can possibly arm yourself with is a mobile phone :)
    Phone the Gardai and tell the intruders that they are on they way, even if you did not get through.

Most other "weapons" may well be turned on you!

I don't think that would scare an intruder. They know as well as everybody else the likely response time for the Gardai. Not that I blame them but with the current infrastructure and cutbacks you could well be waiting a long time.
    Despite that I always keep my mobile to hand with the local station programmed in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cerco wrote: »
    I don't think that would scare an intruder.

That depends on the intruder.
    They know as well as everybody else the likely response time for the Gardai.

That depends on where you live, how close the Gardai are and a bit of luck!
    The only time that I had to do this the response was less than 5 minutes.
    Despite that I always keep my mobile to hand with the local station programmed in.

Sounds like you agree that arming yourself with a mobile phone is a good idea, my point exactly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

One of the best security's has to be dogs. My elderly nan lives in a quite rural place in a house on her own. I walked in recently but had to pass through two Alsatians and a lab-Alsatian cross in the hall way all very well built and fit. She loves the company and dogs. I'd feel sorry for any unwelcome house invader.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

you'd be very surprised how hard a simple thing like unlocking the screen on your phone & dialling a number -can be when adrenaline is racing around your body & your scared !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

We've had many visitors on the flat roof out back , have had to invest in some 'hardware" .

Keep all interal doors l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Just curious . Aside from your bedside panic button . What have you to defend yourself with in the event that someone actually breaks in ? What's your plan if your alarm goes off at night ?

me .
    Rf fob with panic .
    Remote for outside lights ( soon to be linked to the 9 key on my fob .
    Golf club under bed .
    Knife under bedside desk attached with Velcro .

Charger , TV remote .

Just curious how would a TV remote help?

Mod edit.
    Lads please stop talking about illegal methods to protect your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Locked doors only cause more expense and damage to your property.
    I would not recommend locking internal doors.
    Another reason would be in the event of an emergency. A fire when you may not be able to see what your doing to get out, plus it will add time to you escaping.

I keep the kitchen door locked with the key in the hall side

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Those are classed as offensive weapons, which may be of interest to Gardai. None of my business, of course. I'm just saying.
    Certain weapons have been listed as offensive weapons.

These include flick-knives, knuckledusters, swordsticks, sword umbrellas, hand and foot claws, belt buckle knives, pushdaggers, hollow kubotans, shurikens, butterfly knives, telescopic truncheons, blowpipes, kusari gama, kyoketsu shoge, manrikigusari, sap gloves, and machetes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I'm thinking of picking up one of those light baseball bats. When can you attack (defend yourself) from an unwanted guest. I presume the fact that they've trespassed and broken into your house shows they are a threat to your personal safety and family's safety. It's not as if you. Can they still sue for damages? I know you can use "resonable" force. What is resonable? Making sure they ain't getting back up until the guards arrive?

It's nearly easier to rob a house than defend one legally.

Pepper spray is illegal but can you spray a household cleaner at them in defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

See Defence and the Dwelling Act 2011, which shows that a householder who honestly believes that a burglar has entered his house for the purpose of committing a criminal act will not commit a crime by using reasonable force to protect his property, himself or others.

There are threads on reasonable force on Legal Discussion afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

There are two things intruders don't like. Noise and light. Be in a position to generate both quickly. Wire up switches so that both light and noise can be got going quickly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

camphor wrote: »
    There are two things intruders don't like. Noise and light. Be in a position to generate both quickly. Wire up switches so that both light and noise can be got going quickly.

The Siemens system with X10 lams around the house does this very effectively.

Mod edit , content removed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok lads.
    Once again no mention of anything that can be used to hurt anyone here please, simple rule.

If someone posts some silly comments please report it, don't quote it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

A garda told me once how throwing white pepper in the eyes is very effective at taking all the fight out of someone without doing any serious harm. I keep a small canister of white pepper in the bedside locker as well as panic button connected to central station.

Does it have to be white pepper ?
    Is it because its fine /powdery ?

Yes I suppose, and it sure does sting like hell as I have accidentally got some in my eyes once.
    I have this idea that if someone breaks in downstairs I will be at the top of the stairs with a pickaxe handle. I won't go down so they will have a chance to run away as alarm will be screaming and Gardai will be on the way. If they are stupid enough to come up the staris they will have to pass through a cloud of white pepper and then meet the pickaxe handle on the head while they are rubbing their eyes lol.

I wouldn't count on the gardai arriving in less than 30mins . Although if you were to ring and say you have a gun that would up the response time .

If you told them there was a gun involved they would never arrive lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

If you told them there was a gun involved they would never arrive lol.

The Mondeo wont, but the XC70 certainly will:)

Advertisement